Inside: 1980’s Cassette Tape Tattoo Ideas + Designs
Believe it or not, at age 8 I would listen to the one and only Run D.M.C on cassette over and over and over and over again. I know, it seems odd, but it was my jam! And to be honest, I still listen to Run D.M.C on Spotify!
Even though apps like Spotify are quick, intuitive, and virtually limitless, there’s nothing like an old-fashioned cassette tape.
It’s a pity that most kids these days will never understand the struggle of rewinding your favorite cassette, or dealing with the tragedy that is an unwound and strung-out tape.
Honor your love of the ’80s with these classic, fun, and nostalgic cassette tape tattoo ideas.
Cassette Tape Tattoos
Often relegated to a simple relic of the past, cassette tapes were once the height of musical enjoyment. Music is a universal pastime, able to transcend language and culture while at the same time representing the best of both. Music can make you cry, laugh, scream, and shout all in under three minutes. If you’re someone who has a passion for music and considers yourself to be sentimental, a cassette tape is the perfect representation of a musical soul.
Where vinyl has taken the music industry by storm once again, so soon will cassette tapes! For fans of the retro, cassette tapes are in high demand. The Queen of Pop herself, T-Swift, has begun to release some of her music on cassette.
A lot of depictions of cassette tapes in tattoos show the tape unspooled and tangled next to the rectangular casing, a symbol of both the fragility and durability of music itself. How many chart-toppers have faded away only to return with a vengeance twenty years later? (Looking at you, Kate Bush.)
While the cassette tattoo isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, it’s the perfect choice for someone who eats, sleeps, and breathes music 24/7.
Check out our favorite classic cassette tape tattoo ideas!
What Does a Cassette Tape Tattoo Mean?
Whether you’re a music lover or a musician, a cassette tape often signifies a deep, all-consuming love of music.
Tattoos with a similar meaning:
- Music player or tape recorder
- Music disc
Fans of both color and black and grey will be sure to love commemorating their favorite singer, song, or album with a cassette tape tattoo. They make for great stand alone pieces or can be paired with beautifully scripted lyrics from your favorite rock ballad.
The “wheels” on the tape cassette represent the circle of life, which have many inspiring moments.
The cassette and tape recorder are closely related to each other, they have almost the same meaning. They represent the love of music, harmony, confidence. They show that there are no outer limits in life.
Cassette Tape Tattoo Ideas
These fun, retro, colorful, and unique cassette tape designs are a fun way to play on that ’80s or early ’90s vibe. If you’re looking for something bold, fun, and unique then you will love these ideas.
1. Colorful and Glittery Cassette Tape Design
2. Old School Mix Tape Tattoo
3. Sketched Cassette Tape Art
4. Clean and Simple Cassette Tape Outline Idea
5. Strung Out Retro Tape Tatoo
6. Colorful Old School Music Tattoo Design
7. Watercolored Inspired Tape Tattoo
8. Colorful Geometric Cassette Tape Design
9. Fun Cassette Tape Design with Flowers
10. Cartoon Like Cassette Tape Outline
11. 90’s Hits Cassette Tape Inspired Tattoo Art
12. Retro Pink Cassette Tape Idea
Music Tape Tattoo Designs
Was there anything better than a personalized mixtape made by your boyfriend, girlfriend, or BFF? No way! These cassette tape tattoos are perfect to play off those classic mixtapes and honor your love of music.
13. Realistic Mix Tape Tattoo Art
14. My Life is Music Tattoo
15. Unique Music Tape Tattoo Design
16. Black and White Cassette Tape with Flowers
17. Cool Music Tape Realistic Design
18. “Awesome Mix Vol. 1”
19. Black and White Mix Tape Tattoo
20. Cassette Tape with Headphones
21. Small Music Tape Ankle Tattoo
22. 3D Realistic Music Tape Art
23. Red and Blue Cassette Tape Tattoo Design
24. Black and White Music Tape Idea
Traditional Cassette Tape Tattoos
Looking for traditional, realistic, or full detailed cassette art? These traditional style designs are a great way to pay respect to the music that raised us.
25. Temporary Classic Tape Tattoo
26. Small Cassette Tape Tattoo Idea
27. Detailed Cassettet Music Tatoo
28. Dark Shaded Strung Out Cassette Tape
29. Cassette Tape Tattoo Flash
30. Extra Realistic Mix Tape Tattoo Design
31. Super Small Music Tape Tattoo Idea
32. Mixtape Tattoo with White Highlights
33. Detailed Outline of Cassette Tape Tattoo Art
34. Traditional Style Tattoo of Cassette Tape
35. Colorful 1980s Tattoos of Cassette Tapes
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
If you like these classic cassette tape tattoo ideas then check out a few more of our favorite designs and ideas.
- Microphone Tattoo Ideas – Since you’re a lover of great music, then chances are you love singing to those tunes. Maybe you’re a signer, artist, or just a fan of a good beat; these microphone tattoo ideas are great ideas for any music lover out there. There are all kinds of microphone tattoos to consider. Microphone tattoo designs have been around for a long time, so you have decades worth of models to rifle through.
- Flirty Lip Tattoos – There isn’t much that is sexier than a set of sultry flirty lips! All of these lips tattoo designs are fun, flirty, and sexy. The lips represent love, relationships, communication, and sensuality. Popular locations for lip tattoos are on the side of the neck, upper arm, and forearm. Get one of these lips tattoos anywhere you want, though! I think you’ll love these lip tattoo designs.
- Meaningful Tattoo Quotes – Looking for a way to express yourself in a deep and meaningful way. Consider adding your passions directly to a tattoo using both imagery and words. Here are some inspirational quotes and phrases to help get your mind thinking about your perfect meaningful expression for your next body art masterpiece.
Keep It Clean
Getting inked isn’t the only part of the tattoo process. Proper care is the most important part of any tattoo, these products are some of our favorites for aftercare. From soap, ointment, and even some protective wraps are a must-have with new ink.
- H2Ocean – Enriched with aloe vera, H2Ocean’s unscented liquid soap has no detectable odor. It isn’t going to dry out or damage your precious tattoo. It’s also gentle enough for use twice or thrice daily to keep your skin clean and promote faster tattoo healing. Some users say it’s so light that you don’t even need to rinse it off (it’s also antibacterial). But you may not be comfortable with this especially if your tattoo is still weeping.
- Disposable Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wrap – If you’re looking for a product that will keep your tattoo protected, then these grip cover wraps are perfect. They come with 16 Roll of Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wraps in 6 Different Colors. Dimensions: 1.6″ x 5 yards (W x L) Per Roll. Self Adhesive Strips Make it Very Easy to Attach it on Tattoo Grips.
- Aquaphor Healing Ointment – One of the most widely used tattoo aftercare treatments, and you’ll find a lot of artists quick to recommend the old stand-by. What makes Aquaphor the best lotion for tattoo aftercare is that it absorbs the skin’s natural moisture, which keeps the tattoo fresh and promotes healing. A semi-permeable layer is formed from the lotion, which allows moisture to be kept in and everything else to be kept out.