Inside: The prettiest peony tattoo ideas and designs to help you fall in love with the vibrant blooming flower.
Peony flowers have become really popular in tattoo art, and it’s not hard to understand why! These blooms are just so beautiful that you can’t help but want one on your skin.
If you haven’t yet decided on the flower design you want to wear as part of your body art, here are some of my favorite pretty peony tattoo ideas you’ll love. Whether you want a small delicate ink spot or a large blooming backwork flower… this list will inspire you to jump into the bloom for your next tattoo.
Peonies are one of the most popular flowers in the world because of their stunning beauty, simplicity, and versatility. Their round shape and easily discernible petals make them the perfect flower to use as inspiration for tattoos of all sizes and in many styles, from traditional Japanese to neo-traditional American and everything in between.
Peonies are known to be floral symbols of elegance and femininity, which is why they’re often the flower of choice for mothers and bridesmaids alike. But because peonies have such romantic meaning, it’s no surprise that some people decide to get them inked on their skin in ink form.
Table of Contents
The Meaning of a Peony Tattoo
The peony tattoo’s meaning is about growth, life, and beauty. It can symbolize new beginnings as well as a successful journey of some sort.
A lot of people choose to get peony tattoos because they are just so pretty! As far as colors go, red is usually associated with passion and love, whereas pink represents elegance and gracefulness.
Black peony flower tattoos are a symbol of grieving and loss. There’s no doubt that a peony tattoo will look amazing on your body no matter what color you choose it in!
Big and Bold Peony Tattoo Ideas
These big and bold peony tattoo ideas are some of the brightest and prettiest flower designs I have ever seen. They if you are looking for a bold statement then these are perfect for you!
1. Pretty Pop of Peony
2. Bright Bold Bicep
3. Back Shoulder Piece
4. Up the Hip Peony Tattoo
5. Ankle Peony
6. Long Peony on Back
7. Peony & Bee
8. Large Bright Peony Tattoo
9. Outlined Thigh Piece
10. Colorful Peony Bundle
Forearm Peony Tattoo Ideas
I love the placement of a forearm tattoo. There are so many different ways to uniquely show off your pretty ink. Here are a few of our favorite peony forearm tattoo ideas!
11. Boxed in Peony
12. Soft Peony
13. Pretty Detailed Forearm Peony
14. Peony Faith
15. Detailed Outline
16. Bundle of Peony Pretties
17. Bright Pink Peony Tattoo
18. Soft and Pretty
19. Up the Elbow
20. Rich Colored Peony Tattoo
Small Peony Tattoos
Are you looking for something a little smaller but totally just as pretty? These small peony tattoo ideas a just for you!
21. Peony Progression
22. Peony Petals
24. Rib Closed Peony
25. Small Peony Up Ankle
26. Thin Stem Peony
27. Chest Outline
28. Simple Peony Swag
29. Outlined Peony Bundle
30. Dainty Peony Tattoo Idea
Pretty Peony – So Very Lovely
We just couldn’t get enough of these pretty peony tattoo ideas, so here are a few more of our favorites!
31. Pretty Rib Peony
32. Black Outlined Peony Tattoo
33. Cute Closed Peony
34. Peony Moon
35. Blooming Peony
36. All Red
37. Vintage Peony Tattoo
38. Bundle of Vintage Flowers
39. Detailed Highlights
40. Light Ankle Tattoo
41. Modern Bicep Peony
42. Multi-Colored Peony Tattoos
43. Big and Bold Thigh Tattoo
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
Here are a few more of our favorite tattoo ideas!
- Inspiring Quote Tattoos – Here are 47 inspiring quote tattoo ideas to keep you focus and driven and if you’re looking for a great place to find quotes.
- Name Cover Up Tattoo Ideas – Divorce, breakups, and friendship loss can be a true struggle to overcome. If a permanent reminder of a past relationship is affixed to your body, that constant reminder can be devastating. Amazing tattoo artists can help! With their ingenuity and talent they can turn that harsh memory of the past into something that speaks positively of your future.
- Mountain Tattoo Ideas – Mountain Tattoos can be amazing works of art for a first timer or long time tattoo collector. An amazing mountain design can be as fresh and beautiful as the mountains it contains.
- Hair Stylist Tattoos – Hair stylists are amazing people that provide their loving kindness to each of their clients by supplying confidence to those they serve. When you look good you feel good! Here are 23 Hairstylist Tattoo Ideas to show your love of hair and everything styling!
Color Peony Tattoos
As much as I love the color pink and prefer a pink tattoo anyday! Peony tattoos come in all types of colors, just like the flower.
Getting a colored flower tattoo not only adds vibrance to the blooms, but can also be used to showcase deeper meaning or used as a great way to cover up a tattoo that you might no longer love.
Look how easy El Nifa covers up an outdated design with this outline below & then fills it in with a vibrant orange peony tattoo. Perfect coverup tattoo option to use.
If I had some old ink that needed covering, this is easily the best way to fix it. Don’t you agree?
Yellow Peonies Blooms Ink
Yellow peonies symbolize friendship and warmth in community. What a great thing to be reminded of as we look towards our next artistic piece.
46. Vibrant design by @kultureshockstudio out of Salt Lake City.
47. This combo by Little Hippo Tattoo of yellows along with pink and purple makes a beautiful watercolor peony tattoo design.
48. This vibrant orange yellow is so pretty.
49. A pretty peony in blue perhaps.
Purple Peony Designs
Purple peonies symbolize honor, royalty, respect. I think that it’s a great way to remember someone you loved and to honor the memory of a special place or time.
50. Purple can be used to show honor like this pretty one by Koizhou Tattooist.
51. Watercolor peony tattoo designs don’t have to be light when you get them. I love this darker version by Flesh Brush that incorporates a peony butterfly and skull all in one gorgeous design.
One trend that I’m seeing more and more of these days in the studios is getting symmetrical tattoos. This placement idea easily works well on forearms, legs, ankles and hands. I’m also loving how great it looks on shoulders and the rib cage area.
Having a matching tattoo with yourself says so much about your wholeness and completeness as a person.
52. Like this matching symmetrical peony set by Tracy Marie with a depth in color that caught my eye.
53. Oh and this shoulder fringe! I’m loving it so so much.
Best Positioning For Peony Tattoos
Peonies are a great option because you can basically get them anywhere. A small bloom on your wrist or ankle is easy, a large scale backpiece looks good too! Because the blooms of this flower are so large, my favorite positioning for peonies is in a space that you can really get a feel for the full flower head.
So the shoulder, knee cap, elbow or thigh placements are all superb for this particular flower.
The kneecap is a newer trend with the floral tattoos and it’s one that I love. The ink design changes as you walk, sit and stand creating movement that flows through the art. It reminds me of how a flower actual moves out in the wild.
54. This watercolor idea that flows right over the knee is really pretty.
55. Knee side placement by Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman.
56. Another symmetrical version, but this one is centered around the kneecap. See the other side on Pip Fox Tattoos page.
Wrist Peony Tattoos
Getting a wrist tattoo of a peony flower is both delicate and bold at the same time. I like to see them as bracelets or coming down onto the hand through the wrist which can be a gorgeous way to end off a full tattoo sleeve for women if you don’t want the hard wrist line.
57. This simple black outline by Sophie Moonbase.
58. Peony and rose wrist wrap by Maunder looks like a delicate bracelet tattoo.
59. A blackwork wrist tattoo that is beautiful without any fluff to it by Moth & Flame.
Shoulder Peony Petal Ideas
The shoulder is such a fun place to play with all tattoo designs, but with the large peony blooms it’s so great.
60. Black Ink Outline Peony Flower Tattoos that Brennan Walker tattoo added onto an already healed part to make the shoulder tattoo design flow easily into the backside.
61. I just adore this Jessimae version of pretty petal work.
62. Delicate peony flowers by Ingrid Campelo.
63. Pink over the shoulder peony design by Justas brings vibrancy that will make any tank top you own look better forever.
64. Looking for something more fun even? This peony head tattoo is large, pink and totally her for it all.
Peony and Snake Tattoo Ideas
65. Peony and snake tattoo by Elin Lowen incorporates the two opposite elements as one connecting piece. The beauty and the pain.
66. This large scale back tattoo idea by delicz.ttt is surreal in its combination of both the snake and peony done as outlines throughout the space.
67. As a final nod to my favorite of all the flowers Jordan Skye creates a traditional and very very pretty end to this inspiration.
I hope you enjoy these pretty peony tattoo ideas & designs, let me know in the comments your favorite!