Inside: Stunning Amaryllis Tattoo Designs + Ideas.
When it comes to delicate and detailed tattoos, flowers are one of the more popular designs. Are we surprised? Floral arrangements have long been sacred and special symbols of a myriad of emotions. From an expression of grief and mourning to a token of budding love–and everything in between–flowers have long held a history of rich and multi-layered meaning.
Lest you think a floral tributary tattoo is just for women, don’t forget that many flowers hold distinctly masculine and powerful energy. Like the bird of paradise or the scentless alstromeria. In classical Japanese tattooing, flower designs are robust, dark, and powerful and would look good on either a male bicep or a female forearm. The great thing about floral tattoos is that they can easily be incorporated with other designs. A skull and crossbones, an American traditional anchor, an open book–flowers are great way to showcase an already existing piece.
They can, of course, stand on their own and hold their own as a piece all by itself. If you’re someone who’s long be interested in the language of flowers, a floral tattoo would be more than right for you.
Amaryllis flowers make for stunning floral designs. Read on to find out the meaning behind this bold and beautiful bloom.
Meaning of the Amaryllis Flower
The Greek word amarullis means to sparkle, sparkling, or splendor. Perhaps the most fascinating part of the amaryllis flower is the myth tied to it. In an ancient poem by the revered poet Virgil, we meet a beautiful nymph named Amaryllis. The nymph falls in love with a gardener, a gardener who does not return her feelings of love and adoration. Sigh–such is the way with many myths. Not to be put off easily, Amaryllis take a golden arrow and pierces her heart every day for days on end on the gardener’s doorstep to prove her undying devotion. Dramatic? You bet. But out of it we supposedly got the lovely red amaryllis flower.
Few flowers represent strength or spirit, pride, and determination like the amaryllis flower. After all, its namesake was certainly all of those things. Not every flower comes in the arresting ruby-blood shade, however. The amaryllis ranges in shades of ivory, violets, and even soft pinks. Each color holds a very specific meaning:
- Pink–Is there a more feminine shade thank pink? This soft color represents love and friendship.
- Purple–Unsurprisingly given its Greco-Roman origins, a purple amaryllis represents royalty, a color that has long been associated with royal blood the world over. Purple also symbolizes a spiritual nature, making a great tattoo choice for anyone who considers themselves to be particularly in tune with their inner self.
- White–As is the custom in many cultures around the world, white is the color of mourning. A white amaryllis is a great idea for a tributary tattoo dedicated to a lost loved one.
- Orange–Happiness and health!
- Yellow–A yellow amaryllis represents good luck and good fortune.
Amaryllis Tattoo Meaning
Another name for the amaryllis flower is the naked lady. As its meaning in Victorian times was tied to strong, robust, beautiful women, this nickname for the amaryllis flower is more than apt. I don’t know about you, but I think of a great many tattoo designs that play on this rather risque nickname–wink, wink.
Amaryllis Tattoo Ideas
1. Amaryllis + Quote Tattoo Design
2. Hand Poked Amaryllis 3 Flower Tattoo
3. Amaryllis Outline Design
4. Dainty Amaryllis Chest Piece
5. Simple Amaryllis Outline
6. Three Amaryllis Chest Piece
7. Translucent Amaryllis Thigh Design
Red Amaryllis Flower Tattoo Designs
8. Detailed Single Amaryllis
9. Large Red Amaryllis Back Design
10. Bold Amaryllis Shoulder Tattoo Idea
11. Fun Red Flower Hand Tattoo
12. Red Amaryllis Rib Design
13. Full Flower Bundle with Amaryllis Design
14. Soft Shaded Red Amaryllis Idea
15. Small Red Amaryllis Behind the Ear
16. Realistic Replication of Amaryllis Flower
17. Large Watercolored Shoulder Design
18. Red Amaryllis Flower Bundle
19. Amaryllis Tattoo Padiham
20. Soft Designed Amaryllis Flower
21. Three Flower Shoulder Design
22. Large Detailed Amaryllis Idea
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
- Vintage Flower Tattoo Ideas for Old Souls – Incorporating flowers into any tattoo design can bring in color and imagery that can highlight important feelings and expression for the wearer. Using a vintage flair means toning down some of the color pallet and utilizing additional shadow techniques to create the perfect subtlety to add to any creation. Check out our list of vintage flower tattoo designs.
- Palm Tattoo Ideas – If you have a serious addiction to tattoos, you might be ready to opt for a palm tattoo. Palm tattoos are awesome and will make you look even more badass than you already do. Plus, if you can tough through the pain of a palm tattoo, you can pretty much tough through anything! Don’t let that scare you away, though. Don’t make any decisions until you have seen all of these palm tattoo designs.
- Pretty Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas – A popular subject in the tattoo world is the Hummingbird. It is a thing of beauty that has unique shapes and amazing abilities. Capturing those qualities in a tattoo can be really rewarding. Have a look at our list of the Prettiest Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas.
Test Out These Tattoo Products
Looking to check how you like a tattoo but don’t want something permanent? These temporary tattoos are perfect for you. Or maybe you have new fresh ink and want some care supplies, we have just what you need. Click the links below to test out some of our favorite products.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Florals Sheets– Includes two sheets of Watercolor Florals temporary tattoos and designed by Helen Deal. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days. Designed by professional artists who get a cut of every sale
- Bright Aftercare All Natural Tattoo Lotion – New tattoos are exciting, but you will experience itchiness and inflammation. To prevent irritation, to speed up your recovery time, and to extend the life and vibrancy of your new tattoo, we recommend using Bright Tattoo – Tattoo Aftercare Lotion. For the best results, you can use it daily to keep your skin moisturized, happy, and extend the time you need between ink touch-ups.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Butterflies Set – Temporary watercolor tattoos are a really fun way to gain the experience of wearing a tattoo without the long-term commitment. The butterfly set of watercolor tattoos is a fan favorite. Have a look at our list of temporary watercolor butterflies set tattoos.
- Disposable Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wrap – Need to cover your new tattoo? Get this self grip wrap! It comes in several different colors and because it has a self grip there is no need for tape. It’s comfortable and can be used in other ways too. Check it out and get some ordered today!