Inside: What is an armband tattoo, what is the meaning of having one & great ideas for yours.
An armband tattoo essentially takes the shape of a bracelet. The design wraps all the way around the arm in a straight line and can be placed anywhere along the length of the arm, including around the forearm and the wrist.
In terms of size, armbands range from extremely narrow to wide enough to look like half-sleeves.
The armband tattoo is a popular kind of tattoo for several people. The armband tattoo can be done either as a permanent tattoo or a temporary tattoo. A lot of people like it as a first tattoo as it’s simple and captures people’s attention.
Given their massive popularity, we decided to take a closer look at these designs and the meaning behind them. Like with any tattoo, the significance of these tattoos differs widely from individual to individual – and obviously, several people choose an armband purely for aesthetic purposes.
Here is everything you need to know about armband tattoos.
Table of Contents
What Is an Armband Tattoo?
An armband tattoo basically looks like a bracelet. The tattoo design goes around a person’s arm. You can get these tattoos anywhere along your arms, such as around your wrist and your forearm. When it comes to size, armband tattoos typically range from incredibly narrow to wide enough to look like half-sleeves.
As mentioned earlier, armband tattoos make an excellent choice for a first tattoo. As the tattoo has to be placed on the arm by definition, it is fairly easy to cover up with long sleeves if required. Another thing to note is that the arm is usually one of the least painful spots for tattooing. There are some sensitive spots, such as the elbow and the inside of the bicep. However, other than that, the pain levels should be entirely tolerable.
Where Should You Get an Armband Tattoo?
The placement of the tattoo is everything when deciding to get a wrap around tattoo design. It primarily depends on the type of tattoo you want. Some individuals choose to get a wristband tattoo, which will definitely be a much smaller and basic design. An armband tattoo typically goes on the upper arm, or more precisely, the upper bicep.
If you’re a muscular person, then the tattoo will definitely look great in that spot. The best thing about getting a tattoo on the upper bicep is that it will be covered by a shirt with short sleeves in case you want to cover it up for work.
You can also get an armband tattoo on your wrist. If your wrist is relatively thin, it will make a perfect spot for a less elaborate design.
How Long Does it Take to Get one?
A solid armband tattoo can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to complete. Nevertheless, there are plenty of factors that determine the exact amount of time it will take to get an armband tattoo. For instance, it depends on the size of your arm, how much pain you can bear throughout the session, the speed of the tattoo artist, the actual size of the armband, the level of detailing, or the thickness of the armband.
Types of Armband Tattoos
If you don’t know what type of armband tattoo you like, checking out the most popular kinds of armband tattoos is one of the best ways to go. Here, you can learn about the most common types of armband tattoos.
- All Black Tattoo: Conventionally, a solid black armband tattoo can indicate the loss of a loved one. After all, black represents mourning and death. The shape symbolizes the act of wearing the memory of the deceased on your sleeve. It is quite common to get one band tattooed for every loss.
- Tribal Design: The tribal armband tattoo is quite common among contemporary armband tattoos. For some people, these tattoos serve as a personal connection to their indigenous roots. For instance, Native Americans and their descendants might wish to honor their ancestry with armbands that incorporate traditional symbols such as feathers, dreamcatchers, or arrows.
- Celtic Armband: The Celtic armband tattoo is characterized by intricately woven knots and lines. People who get Celtic tattoos might be either paying tribute to their tribute or appreciating the art form.
Armband Tattoos Design Ideas
Here are some of the most beautiful and creative armband tattoo design ideas you might like:
1. Multiple All Black Lines
2. Polynesian Armband
3. Vine Wrapped Armband
4. Armband Barbed Wire Idea
5. Rose Wrapped Tattoo
6. Multiple Solid Black Lines tattoo is perfect for people who like simple and minimalistic designs.
7. Polynesian Armband is an excellent option for those who want a more elaborate and visually appealing armband tattoo.
8. Galaxy Tattoo – if you love the galaxy, space, aliens, or NASA, then you will surely love this tattoo!
9. Superhero Styles go around a person’s arm and look authentic. If you’ve always wanted to embrace the superhero inside you, then this is the best pick for you.
10. Barbed Wire Armband is the best option for those who want to add a touch of roughness to their tattoo.
Other Tattoo Ideas You Might Like
Spine Tattoos: Are you looking for something unique and extraordinarily beautiful? If yes, you definitely need to check out these beautiful spine tattoos here. The way these tattoos flow with the body, following the curves of their owner’s back, looks gorgeous and stunning.
Disco Ball Tattoos: These tattoos send a message to the world that you are always down for a party! But the disco ball tattoos are a lot more than that! They are a reminder to cherish life at the moment at its best. Just the way a disco ball illuminates each corner and casts every dancer in an otherworldly ambiance, these tattoos beckon the world to join as you glide through life and rock the floor.
Ornamental Tattoo Styling: Are you mesmerized by beautiful wood carvings? Do you feel attracted to various patterns and styles? If yes, you have to take a look at ornamental tattoo styling and get tattoo design inspiration. You can opt for a bigger-sized tattoo or get a smaller, more ornate one, depending on your preferences.
Given the cultural significance and versatility of armband tattoos, it is hardly surprising that they are one of the top sellers at our tattoo shop. Contact Tattoo Glee today if you’re looking for some inspiration for your first (or fifth!) tattoo.