Inside: The Best Sparrow Tattoos + Designs with Special Meaning.
The sparrow, while not the flashiest bird type, has become a popular choice for tattoos. Sparrow tattoos are usually associated with freedom, love, and commitment, but there are many other great meanings that can be attached to these designs.
You often see these pretty tattoo designs soaring across the body like beautiful works of art. With all different types of colors, variations, and sizes, this tattoo design looks great anywhere.
Check out our favorite sparrow tattoos and their meaningful symbolism.
What Does a Sparrow Tattoo Symbolize?
The sparrows have been associated with many meanings. The birds are generally known to be social and they usually like living near people. They can travel in a flock of families intermingled or a single-family of a few birds.
Sparrow and swallow tattoos share common meanings that include:
- Traveling the world and seeing all the wonders of the world, since the swallow can travel hundreds of miles per year
- The arrival of spring after a long and hard winter
- Cheerfulness and perseverance in the most difficult situations
- A time of peacefulness after a disaster or loss
- Good luck, especially when facing life-threatening challenges like long sea journeys or going to war
- Love for your family and the fact that you’re willing to do anything to protect them.
They are also used in prisons to signify liberty. Usually, not every prisoner is guilty, for that, some can use them to show their own freedom. There are others that will use the sparrow design to symbolize their freedom in doing whatever they want in prison.
Traditional Sparrow Tattoos
These traditional sparrow tattoo ideas are great if you are looking for that classic look that popularized the sparrow design.
1. Sparrow Side Tattoo
2. Double Outlined Sparrows
3. Little Swallow Tattoo – We love how simple and clean this sparrow tattoo design is!
4. Noble Sparrow and Flower Tattoo
5. Outline Wrist Design
6. Shaded Sparrow Design
7. Sparrow Neck Tattoo – If you’re looking for an edgy look, this neck tattoo is exactly that.
8. Outlined Swallow Idea
Realistic Sparrow Tattoo Designs
Looking for a more realistic design? These sparrow designs are beautifully detailed and one-of-a-kind. Find your favorite inspiration for your next tattoo session.
9. Bird with Flowers Tattoo
10. Old School Sparrow Tattoo
11. Realistic Bird Design – How beautiful is this realistic sparrow tattoo? How amazing!
12. Matching Hand Sparrows
13. Colorful Sparrow Idea
14. Classic Design – This old-school sparrow idea is one of our favorites. The bold colors and clean design is just perfect.
15. Rising Sparrow Tattoo Idea
Black Sparrow Tattoos
So what does a black sparrow represent? Like we mentioned before, many sailors in old times used to get traditional sparrow tattoos. So if they die in the middle of the sea, the sparrow will take their souls to heaven.
Moreover, some people opt for the sparrow tattoo in the memory of loved ones who have passed away or left. Alternatively, these tattoos represent inhibition, freedom, and joy.
16. Simple Black Sparrow
17. Black and White Neck Tattoo Idea – Another edgy design that we love.
18. Black and Grey Swallow Bird Design
19. Sketched Sparrow Idea – This unique sketched design is totally original and one-of-a-kind.
20. Black Outlined Sparrow
21. Solid Black Sparrow Neck Design
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
If you like these sparrow tattoo ideas, then check out a few more of our favorites. Let us know your favorite in the comments.
- Daisy Tattoo Ideas – Daisy is a form of flower purely for the female kind and is one of the most versatile tattoos you can wear on your body. The tattoo is highly decorative and comes in different colors and sizes. You can even add a custom design to the tattoos depending on your preferences. With soft petals and a humble appearance, it is almost impossible to ignore its fascinating design.
- Fancy Flamingo Tattoo Designs – Prominent with its eye-catching pink feathers and bears femininity and tenderness, some can be mistaken that it is preferred only by women but flamingo tattoos are also popular among men as it has long been a symbol of environmental groups and has some other powerful meanings. No matter what your choice is, flamingos make for some pretty outstanding works of art. In order to help you with this hard decision, we put together a list of the prettiest flamingo tattoo designs
- Feminine Fairy Tattoo Ideas that Bring Joy – Today when we think of fairies we tend to think of much-loved childhood books and stories that included these small human-like beings rumored to reside in Fairyland or even at the bottom of the garden. Women are most likely to choose fairy tattoo designs as they are generally portrayed as being female and having girlish traits such as long hair, dresses, and mischievous behavior, which make it easy for women to feel an inclination towards them.
- Mermaid Tattoo Ideas – Swimming through the Seven Seas and charming men with their siren songs, mermaids have long been a subject of myth, legend, and beauty. Ranging across cultures, there is plenty of symbolism and meaning found within the mermaid’s body, and they’re much more than just a pretty face. The beauty of a mermaid tattoo is the placement is perfect anywhere on your body. Their long elegant physic makes them beautiful in every location.
Test Out These Tattoo Products
Looking to check how you like a tattoo but don’t want something permanent? These temporary tattoos are perfect for you. Or maybe you have new fresh ink and want some care supplies, we have just what you need. Click the links below to test out some of our favorite products.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Florals Sheets – Includes two sheets of Watercolor Florals temporary tattoos and designed by Helen Deal. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days. Designed by professional artists who get a cut of every sale
- Bright Aftercare All Natural Tattoo Lotion – Reduce itching in your new tattoo and extend the life of color and line sharpness. Bright Tattoo Tattoo Aftercare Lotion soothes inflamed skin, reduces itchiness, and may even help your new tattoo heal quickly and evenly. Continuing to use after being inked will keep your skin moisturized and healing and may increase the length of time between touch-ups.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Butterflies Set – Includes a set of eight temporary tattoos and designed by Stina Persson. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages. Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days
- Disposable Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wrap – Comes with 16 Roll of Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wraps in 6 Different Colors. Dimensions: 1.6″ x 5 yards (W x L) Per Roll. Self Adhesive Strips Make it Very Easy to Attach it on Tattoo Grips.