Inside: Does Tattoo Removal Leave a Scar?
The objective of laser tattoo removal is to shatter ink without damaging the surrounding skin. The laser tattoo removal process uses selective photothermolysis to effectively and safely fade or remove tattoos. A rise in the popularity of laser tattoo removal services in cities like Toronto & Vancouver has been accompanied by a number of misconceptions.
So, why are there so many misconceptions surrounding laser tattoo removal? For the most part, it is because it is a complex process that many people do not fully understand. And secondly, people are not always being treated with the appropriate laser, thereby leading to tattoo removal as a whole getting a negative reputation.
The main goal of this article is to educate people on laser tattoo removal. So that you can truly understand how the process works! Below are a few common misconceptions that we have straightened out for you like Does Tattoo Removal Leave a Scar?
The Different Types of Tattoo Removal
What is Laser Tattoo Removal?
Here are a few key points that are good to know when considering laser tattoo removal:
- Laser tattoo removal will not cause scarring if done correctly.
- The best laser and industry gold standard for multi-colored tattoo removal is the MedLite C6 Q-Switched Nd: YAG laser.
- There are no side effects from laser tattoo removal if it is carried out by a professional practitioner and the correct pre and post-care is followed.
- All other tattoo removal methods including creams, scrubbing, and cryosurgery are unsafe and should be avoided at all costs.
- Laser tattoo removal procedures vary in the number of treatments required and the time needed based on various factors. Because the ink particles are eliminated from your body through your lymphatic system certain lifestyle factors can make tattoo removal treatments more successful such as exercising, drinking more water, and cessation of smoking.
- If you have the previous scarring from when the tattoo was applied, this can be faded with other treatments such as skin needling or laser skin treatments.
- If you have any more questions about tattoo removal, please get in touch for a consultation with one of our qualified clinicians.
What are Tattoo Removal Creams?
Tattoo removal creams can cost hundreds of dollars for a single month’s supply. Considering tattoo removal creams require a minimum of 9 months before showing any sign of results – if they have any effect at all – it’s no surprise that many people choose laser tattoo removal instead.
What is Saline Tattoo Removal?
Saline tattoo removal is a safe, natural, chemical-free (no acid) method of removing tattoos using a saline solution and traditional tattooing equipment.
- Less painful and fewer treatments required than laser removal, which burns the skin and often causes blistering and scarring. The laser can only recognize and remove certain colors, and often cause permanent makeup colors to turn gray. If the tattoo has any mix of white ink in it, laser removal will turn the skin black in those areas.
- The less abrasive procedure, gentler on the skin, and faster healing time.
- Effective on all types of tattoos, regardless of age, color, and location.
- Removes almost any color by lifting the pigment out of the dermis, up through the epidermis, then forming a scab that exfoliates with pigment in it. Saline also removes black discoloration caused by the laser.
Does Tattoo Removal Leave a Scar?
Unlikely. Unless you already have an existing scar, are prone to scarring or keloids, or are reckless with your aftercare; laser tattoo removal will typically not cause scarring.
The root of this myth may come from pre-existing scarring. If scarring occurred while getting a tattoo, or since getting it, the tattoo may have covered it up, making it difficult to notice. During your laser tattoo removal consultation, your tattoo and the area around it are assessed thoroughly. Any existing scarring prior to treatment should be identified during this consult.
How Much Does Tattoo Removal Cost?
The cost of treatment varies depending on the size of the area to be treated and the number of treatments required.
How many treatments do I need and how long will it take?
The answer to this question depends completely upon the size of your tattoo, the variety of inks used, and other factors such as your immune system and skin’s response to the treatment. Many people think all tattoos are equally easy to remove, but some colors are more difficult to remove, such as purple, lilac, aqua, or yellow. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, 47% of tattoos require up to 10 sessions to be completely removed with a Q-switched laser and 26% require more than 15 sessions. This could result in the overall process taking a few months before the tattoo is completely faded.
Laser Tattoo Removal Process
Does laser tattoo removal hurt?
Laser tattoo removal can cause slight discomfort, but no serious pain. Some patients opt for a skin numbing cream prior to treatment just to take away any uneasiness.
What Happens After Tattoo Removal Process?
Laser tattoo removal actually takes some time, months to even years. Each session will break up more ink making it easier for your body to remove. The ink removes itself from your body during the 6-8 weeks in between each treatment.
Tattoo removal is faster and more effective than alternatives, like tattoo removal cream, but results are not instantaneous. An immediate frosting that occurs directly after having patients thinking that their tattoo is gone, but this reaction is actually the ink being penetrated by the laser and goes away in about 1-5 minutes after the treatment.
Tattoo Removal Before and After Photos
Looking for More Tattoo Inspiration?
- Wanderlust Tattoo Ideas – Travelers all over the world are constantly collecting passport stamps, soul-stirring stories, and often, stunning wanderlust tattoos. Each one tells a story, a tale of adventure, inspiration, and often, personal achievement. They’re badges of honor, proudly emblazoned on the bodies of those whose hearts are stirred by travel.
- Our Favorite Freckly Tattoo Ideas – Cosmetic tattooing is nothing new. From eyebrow micro-blading to permanent eyeliner, more and more people are turning toward ink to make sure they look flawless from the moment they wake up. One of the more popular processes at the moment is freckle tattoos. While excessive sun exposure can cause serious skin damage, faux freckles are the semi-permanent option to get you looking constantly sun-kissed. Now, of course, it’s easy to overdo it, so be careful. There’s a fine line between a naturally speckled vibe and having polka dots on the cheeks. So, we rounded up a few of our favorite natural Freckle Tattoo Ideas and if you’re not ready to commit then we have a few fun temporary freckle tattoo ideas for you too.
- Cute Little Tattoos – Small tattoos may be discreet, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a huge impact. In fact, sometimes little tattoo ideas for women are the most meaningful! Plus, if you’re getting a tattoo for the first time, you may want to consider getting a tiny tattoo design somewhere that can be hidden. Nevertheless, with so many cute small tattoos to choose from, it can be a challenge picking just one piece of artwork.