Inside: Unique black sleeve tattoo ideas + info on blackout arms design to saturate your skin.
If you’ve been exploring the latest tattoo trends, you’ve probably noticed that black sleeve tattoos are having a huge moment. However, they’re not exactly new.
These blackout tattoos are gaining momentum, possibly because they’re a refreshing counterbalance to the delicate and discreet tattoo designs that have been popular over the last few years.
Yet, there are many reasons that people have chosen to get black sleeve tattoos over the years.
Read on to find out how these tattoos became a thing and everything else there is to know about them.
Black Sleeve Tattoo Ideas
1. Wavy Black Sleeve Idea
2. Blackout Sleeve with White Ink
3. Black Sleeve with Flowers
4. Scratched Black Shoulder Tattoo
5. Blacked Out Honeycomb Design
6. Galaxy Themed Blackout Tattoo
7. Swirled Black Sleeve Idea
Blacked Out Arm Tattoo Designs
8. Cracked Effect Black Sleeve Tattoo
9. Blackout with Dotwork Sleeve Tattoo
10. Black Sleeve with Mandala Designs
11. Flowers Scattered with Black Filler
12. Unique Blacked Out Sleeve Designs
All Black Tattoo Sleeve
13. All Black Sleeve with Pointed Shoulder Design
14. Faded All Black Tattoo Sleeve
15. Wrist to Shoulder Black Sleeve Design
16. Solid Black Design
17. Dot Work Faded into Sleeve
Are Black Sleeves Tattoos Painful?
Here’s the harsh truth: tattoos are painful. No matter which tattoo parlor you get a tattoo from or what body part you get it on, you will experience some level of pain. However, arms and shoulders tend to hurt less than the more sensitive body parts such as the fingers, ankles, or wrists.
That said, a large area of your skin is inked when you get a black sleeve tattoo. You will also require multiple sessions to complete the tattoo. Hence, you should expect some pain before your tattoo achieves the look you want.
The best thing you can do is go to a well-reputed tattoo artist who has experience with large tattoos. They will be able to better assist you with minimizing the pain during the session. They will also guide you on taking care of the tattoo afterward to prevent infection or other side effects.
Blackout Tattoo Arms Ideas
Despite being a popular trend at the moment, blackout tattoos don’t have an inherent meaning attached to them. Hence, you don’t have to worry about what it may imply if you’re planning on getting one. Just make sure that you are 100% ready to make such a commitment.
18. This full arm black spider web by Esteban Molina has such beautiful detail in it.
19. This butterfly blackout sleeve idea with the flowers floating down is from the same studio as the next, both with such pretty detail.
20. A blackout floral sleeve option I can really get behind! Who needs color when you have this much gorgeous texture. Art on these two by black bear whiskey studio in Georgia.
21. Covering up tattoos in style with a full black arm tattoo on the beautiful iammanja.
22. Black striped leg sleeves are such a fun take on the full leg tattoo trend spotted on Robert Nyden.
23. A full floral sleeve in blackwork with pretty hand details to end it by the talented Raimundo Ramírez.
24. Seeing double with these full black sleeves by Marc Galdo.
25. Possibly my favorite arm look of all time by Chiara Posi with that pretty white heart sticking out from the otherwise blackout tattoo arms.
26. This black leg skeleton by Black Prada is a fun take on a sleeve that shows it all.
27. A black arm sleeve with wrap around detail to connect it to the rest of the work – genius design by Oriented Art.
28. Extending the sleeve down to connect with the hand tattoo for women is a great plan, just make sure the nails will match see more at 12.bbk.
29. A complete blackout arms tattoo cover up look that brings the chest into the design looks very sleek. Tattoo on Ester Montero, work done by Black Prada who offers online tutorials on how to create your own large black scale pieces.
30. Bringing the full sleeve arm tattoo into the floral back design is a streamline way to make a striking statement by Alessandra Soana.
31. Lastly, did you know there’s a way to do blackwork with spots of white that make your tattoo shimmer like glitter?! This design by Dawid Bonku is simple and easily takes my breath away
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
- Half Sleeve Tattoo Ideas for Women – Tattoos have grown in popularity over the last decade but the half sleeve tattoos for women, in particular, have been growing rapidly. This tattoo begins either above the elbow to the shoulder or below the elbow to the wrist. This type of tattoo takes thought in creation, but it also takes thought in whether it works for each person, as it’s not as easy to cover up. Many questions arise and endless hours of research occur when looking for that perfect look. What is the statement I am trying to make? What will these tattoos represent? And the list could go on, and on, and on…
- Semicolon Tattoo Ideas – Each tattoo is unique and a representation of its wearer’s style, emotions, and life. The semicolon tattoo is a popular symbol of an internal and silent struggle. Here are 89 of the most inspiring Semicolon Tattoo ideas.
- Tattoo Blowout – Tattoo blowouts are not super common, but when they do occur it is generally because of the tattoo artist applying too much pressure. The ink is placed below the surface of the skin and in turn is injected into the next layer of fat. This can cause a number of issue both with the tattoo clarify, longevity, and even some health concerns. Read more about how this happens and what to do.
- Ornamental Tattoo Definition – There is an incredible “wow” factor about ornamental tattoos that will impress just about anyone. It’s next to impossible not to be entranced by these intricate and creative designs. You’ll see a variety of designs with lots of spirals, crosses, lines, and other unique patterns. Don’t miss these ornamental tattoo design ideas before you decide on your next piece.