Inside: What is a Tattoo Parlor + What Makes a Good One.
What is a Tattoo Parlor?
A place where people go to get tattoos.
Why is it called a tattoo parlor?
For instance, “tattoo shop” would more often give people the impression that they can buy things. Because “parlor/parlour” originally meant “lounge”, people might expect a more personal atmosphere and a more one-to-one kind of experience when having their tattoo done.
What should I look for in a tattoo parlor?
- A Relaxed and Professional Vibe – It all starts with the first phone call or email. How do they sound? Do they sound helpful and interested?
- Cleanliness – The top-level shops will absolutely have complete sterility and cleanliness. We can’t stress enough how incredibly important this is.
- Compatible with Artist – While it’s the tattoo that will last forever, the experience should also be memorable. You’re going to be spending a few hours (or more) with the artist, so spend a little time getting to know them and make sure you’re a good fit, personality-wise.
- The actual studio – Every place gives off a vibe. So how does it feel when you walk into the shop? Like we said, you want it to be clean and relaxed. But there’s a few other things to look for. What’s on their walls? Is it cluttered with random of flash art, disorganized pictures and posters? That could be good for small and easy tattoos and simple traditional work. But if you’re looking for a high level tattoo with depth, intricate technique and brilliant colors, a street shop should definitely be avoided.
- Confidence through Accolades – The best tattoo studios will shine through their accomplishments. It’s important to see which artists are featured in magazines, received awards, and have great reviews. Knowing that others have taken time to write about a studio is a great sign that you’re looking at a professional and solid business.
Learn More About the Tattoo Process
- Tattoo Aftercare – Most tattoo artists have their own personal set of aftercare instructions. But one piece of advice they all have in common is to touch your tattoo with clean hands only. I recommend that you listen to the verbal directions from your tattooer first, then refer to the written directions after. Also, take into consideration that washing your hands shouldn’t be a quick three-second rinse.
- Tattoo Needle Types – So what tattoo needles do what? RL or round liner needles are used for lining. RS or round shaders are used for shading. Flats are used for areas with geometric shapes and shading. Weaved magnums are used for shading, blending, and coloring large areas
- What is an Autoclave? – Autoclaves are also known as steam sterilizers and are typically used for healthcare or industrial applications. An autoclave is a machine that uses steam under pressure to kill harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, and spores on items that are placed inside a pressure vessel. The items are heated to an appropriate sterilization temperature for a given amount of time.