Inside: What is a tattoo artist & how to find a good one?
What is a Tattoo Artist?
A tattoo artist is an individual who applies permanent decorative tattoos, often in an established business called a tattoo shop. Tattoo artists usually learn their craft via an apprenticeship under a trained and experienced mentor.
- Tattoo artists use their artistic skills to advise clients on the size, color, design, and placement of their body art.
- In order to be considered for training as a tattooist, you will also be required to possess a high level of drawing skill and be able to produce a portfolio of your designs.
- And a tattoo machine is a much more difficult instrument than a pencil.
What does a Tattoo Artist do?
Tips from Tattoo Artists
What qualifications do I need to be a tattoo artist?
Personal requirements for a Tattoo Artist
- Good interpersonal skills and an ability to put the customer at ease
- Steady hand
- Good personal hygiene
- Responsible attitude to work (to eliminate risk of transmitting blood-borne diseases)
- Comfortable with needles
- Self-promotion skills
- Artistic ability (for a tattooist)