Inside: Black Eyed Susan Tattoo Ideas + Designs.
If you like your ink with a side of symbolism and hidden meaning, flower tattoos are the way to go. Florals of all kinds tend to be a popular pick across the country, especially for someone just starting out on their tattoo collection…
They can easily be scaled down to the dainty sizes trending on Instagram over the past few years. At the same time, they’re also just as pretty when enlarged to cover your torso or arms. And since they tend to carry connotations of positive things (like love, new beginnings, and happiness), chances are very low that you’ll want to remove them one day.
These black eyed Susan flower tattoos are one of those beautiful florals that are unique in meaning and bold in design. Check out our favorites!
What is a Black Eyed Susan?
The black-eyed Susan is so called because of its daisy-like flowers with dark brown centers. These plants can grow rather tall – up to 3 feet. Their leaves can also get as big as 6 inches, and their stalks can reach a length of 8 inches.
Black-eyed Susans typically bloom from June to October. They are long-blooming perennials that can produce beautiful flowers not only in summer but also in early autumn.
Why were black-eyed Susans named after Susan? The name was probably given to the plant by British colonists, who would have encountered the wildflower in the New World. But who Susan is exactly, we’ll probably never know.
Black Eyed Susan Tattoo Meaning
The black-eyed Susan has been Maryland’s official state flower since its designation on April 18, 1918. What does the black eyed Susan symbolize?
Black-eyed Susans are considered a symbol of survival, endurance, and truth, which can be attributed to the plant’s adaptability and widespread availability.
- Resilience, Endurance, and Survival – Black-eyed Susans are Known for being highly adaptable and for surviving just about anywhere. They’re resilient plants that can thrive even in inhospitable environments. This beautiful wildflower last incredibly long, growing in front yards, roadsides, and even in pavement cracks. They have become perfect symbols of resilience, motivation and encouragement.
- Justice and Truth – After the flower has bloomed, the petals start to droop and expose the dark brown center. The way its center is exposed may also represent justice in a poetic way. Its golden petals shine a light to its otherwise dark center, similar to how justice brings light in the darkness. This light does not mean to condemn but encourages people to overcome and accept whatever darkness is inside of them.
Black Eyed Susan Tattoo Ideas
Let’s start this list with this beautiful collection of flower tattoo ideas. These black eyed susan designs are some of our favorites.
1. Outlined Black Eyed Susan Flower
2. Realistic Flower Tattoo Design
3. Unique Black Eyed Susan Flowers
4. Temporary Black Eyed Susan Flower Tattoo
5. Black and White Flower Design
6. Colorful Cluster of Flowers Tattoo Idea
7. Simplistic Black Eyed Susan Flower Design
8. Detail Shaded Flower Inner Bicep Tattoo
9. Small Flower Bundle Tattoo Idea
10. Thin Line Flower Tattoo Bundle
Black Eyed Susan Flower Tattoo Designs
The black eyed susan flower has a unique and vibrant look, making for some out-of-this-world tattoo designs. Check out a few of our favorites.
11. Bright Colored Flower Tattoo Design
12. Black Eyed Susan Flower Bundle
13. Flower Thigh Tattoo Idea
14. Black Eyed Susan Half Sleeve Tattoo
15. Black Eyed Susan Side Tattoo
16. Full Sleeve of Colorful Black Eyed Susan
17. Bright Yellow Black Eyed Susan Flowers
18. Classic Bundle of Black Eyed Susan Flowers
19. Black Eyed Susan with Flamingos
20. Detailed Flower Bundle Thigh Tattoo
Black Eyed Susan Vine Tattoo Art
21. Bundle of Flowers Tattoo
22. Flowers on a Vine Tattoo
23. Full Sleeve of Black Susan Vine
24. Flower Head on Shoulder Tattoo Design
25. Yellow Black-Eyed Susan Flower Idea
26. Black Eyed Susan Flower with Butterfly
27. – 55. Variations using sunflower tattoo artwork to get further inspiration
56. Colorful Bundle of Black Eyed Susan Flowers
57. Black and White Shoulder Piece Outline
58. Flower Tattoo on Foot
59. Half Sleeve of Black Eyed Susan Tattoo
More Flower Tattoo Inspiration You’ll Love
If you liked these fun black eyed susan tattoo ideas then check out a few more of our favorite flower designs.
- Tiny Flower Tattoos – Flower tattoos are a timeless way to honor your femininity. They are rich in meaning and beauty, and you can truly never go wrong. If smaller tattoos are more your style then check out this list of Tiny Flower Tattoos. We’ve included a wide variety of styles and flowers, there is bound to be one that you’ll fall in love with. Check them out!
- Aster Flower Designs – Aster Flower Tattoos are beautiful and enchanting. They represent positivity, love, faith, and insight. While they can be made to look masculine, they are typically feminine and flirty. Add an aster flower tattoo to your shoulder blade, back, thigh, or anywhere else you want to add a piece of artwork. Have a look at these inspiring aster flower tattoo ideas.
- Vintage Flower Tattoos – Incorporating flowers into any tattoo design can bring in color and imagery that can highlight important feelings and expression for the wearer. Using a vintage flair means toning down some of the color pallet and utilizing additional shadow techniques to create the perfect subtlety to add to any creation. Check out our list of vintage flower tattoo designs.
Tattoo Products You Might Like
Whether you’re taking care of a fresh new tattoo or wanting to brighten up and moisturize older body ink, these products rank at the top of our favorites list. With moisturizing balms, oils, and creams, your tattoo will keep its vibrant look for years to come.
- Vivid Tattoo Oil – The vivid tattoo oil is one of our favorite tattoo products that instantly brightens your tattoos by deeply nourishing and hydrating your skin. This awesome product protects your precious ink from premature fading and makes your tattoos “POP” with color and brightness!
- Baker Goods Organic Tatto Balm – This tattoo aftercare cream is all-natural and great for the skin, many customers continue to use this product long after their tattoo has healed, to keep their skin moisturized and tattoo’s bright. This tattoo balm is one of our favorites because of it’s all-natural ingredients and hydrating formula, perfect for anyone looking to brighten up their body art.
- Aquaphor – Aquaphor is always on our must-have list and for good reason. Different from a lotion or cream, this ointment nourishes skin while creating a protective barrier that allows for the flow of oxygen to create ideal healing. Aquaphor is great for any skin healing that you may have and great for keeping your tattoo fresh and bright. This product is a must-have all the time!