Inside: What Does a Jellyfish Tattoo Mean? (+ Tattoo Inspiration).
Some people believe jellyfish serve no purpose on the earth whilst others are completely fascinated by the way they glide through the oceans perfectly at one with nature and mother earth. As the jellyfish is such a mysterious and intriguing creature (especially given its simplicity), there is ultimately some interest in what they might symbolize and their deeper meaning.
Whether you are a lover of ocean life or you’re looking for a rich meaningful piece of body art these jellyfish tattoos are perfect for you.
What Do Jellyfish Symbolize?
You might find a jellyfish to be very hard to relate to, they have no characteristics that are closely related to that of a human and therefore you might even be wondering whether or not a jellyfish can even be symbolic?
The truth is that these creatures are often misunderstood and they have more symbolisms that humans can relate to than what you might initially have thought. Below, we cover some of these more surprising jellyfish tattoo meanings.
Jellyfish do not have a thought process for decisions and their movements are very much based on instinct. While they passively hunt for food with their tentacles being used as a line, they spring into action as soon as something comes into contact with them and the sensation for food is triggered.
Jellyfish are simple, yet deadly effective. If you’ve ever been stung by a jellyfish you’ll find that it was unsuspecting and without warning. For this reason, many believe that these are the times when jellyfish show themselves to you as your spirit animal.
It could be symbolic of a need to simplify your life or yourself as a person. Jellyfish are one of the most simplistic forms of life on earth.
Jellyfish go with the flow and are guided by the wind, ocean, and mother nature. They do not try to determine their own course in life but instead leave this decision to nature. They are symbolic of life’s ebbs and flows and will ride with the current instead of trying to resist it.
Jellyfish, despite all odds being stacked against them, are very adept at survival as their translucent body allows them to blend into their environment whilst stinging tentacles help them to catch unsuspecting prey.
While jellyfish may seem like they are one of the worst creatures in terms of survival characteristics, their simplicity is actually a benefit that helps them to not only survive but also thrive. They are symbolic for not judging something based on appearance alone.
Jellyfish can be symbolic of pain and this pain is usually unintentional. As they drift through the ocean stinging potential prey with their tentacles, this is usually done through trial and error. Jellyfish do not hunt and therefore they inflict pain by chance for whatever happens to cross their path.
This can be related to humans causing other pain even when it is not intentional or even known. If a jellyfish presents itself to you then this could be a time to reflect as you could be causing those around you pain without any direct intention.
Jellyfish are never stationary, we’ve mentioned they move with the flow of the ocean’s current, however, to take further symbolic meaning from this, a jellyfish never remains stationary during its life.
Jellyfish are always moving and we too should always be moving forwards in life. Time is something you can never get back and many of the world’s most successful and fulfilled individuals move through life with a drive, passion, and willingness to never just stand still and let life happen to them.
Jellyfish are an underestimated creature that many consider being pointless in the ecosystem. This is however usually based on their outward appearance (which is admittedly underwhelming) and doesn’t take into consideration their hidden abilities.
The Jellyfish are passive yet have deadly and poisonous tentacles that only appear innocent in nature to those that are uninformed. Jellyfish are therefore symbolic of hidden strength and abilities.
Jellyfish Spirit Animal Meaning
Having the jellyfish as your spirit animal can have a few clear meanings.
Firstly, it means that you live your life based on intuition and put your faith in the hands of nature. If you stop trying to resist things in life and choose to go with the flow instead then new pathways will open up for you immediately.
Flow can also be an indication that you need to stay relaxed. Those that have the jellyfish appear as their spirit animal will tend to be more relaxed or have a need to relax and allow things to happen to them passively (trusting in nature) rather than trying to force something through an aggressive means.
It could also be a sign that you need to simplify your life and remove some of the more complicated aspects. Those that have the jellyfish as their spirit animal typically enjoy the simpler things in life and it’s important to not become overburdened by everyday distractions.
Finally, a jellyfish appearing as your spirit animal could be a sign that you need to rely on inner strength and hidden abilities. Jellyfish appear vulnerable and defenseless on the outside, yet contain poisonous tentacles that can even kill a human.
You might be in a situation where you are underestimated or feel vulnerable and the jellyfish being symbolic of hidden strength is a sign that you should rely on inner strength and hidden abilities.
Jellyfish Tattoo Ideas
1. All White Ink Jellyfish Design
2. Simple Jellyfish Tattoo Outline
3. Small Colorful Jellyfish Idea
4. Long Dark Jellyfish Design
5. Metallic Temporary Jellyfish Duo
6. Thigh Wrapped Jellyfish Design
7. Blue Small Jellyfish Tattoo Idea
Jellyfish Body Art Designs
8. Black and White Jellyfish Sleeve Tattoo
9. Sparkle Pastel Colored Jellyfish
10. Jellyfish Flower Tattoo Design
11. Realistic Box Jellyfish Tattoo
12. Matching Simple Jellyfish Tattoo Ideas
13. Watercolor Jellyfish Tattoo Design
14. Geometric Jellyfish Tattoo Idea
15. Dotwork Jellyfish Design with Flowers
16. Black Outlined Foot Tattoo
Jellyfish Tattoo Designs
17. Small Jellyfish Design Duo
18. Colorful Realistic Jellyfish Tattoo
19. Most Simple Jellyfish Outline
20. Large Jellyfish Back Design
21. Soft Watercolor Jellyfish Body Art
22. Bright Pink Jellyfish
23. Realistic Jellyfish Tattoo Design
24. Single Needle Box Jellyfish Art
25. Grouping of Jellyfish
More Tattoo Inspiration You Might Love
If you like these jellyfish tattoo ideas, then check out a few more of our favorites that we know you will love.
- Ocean Tattoos – These ocean-inspired tattoo designs are filled with wild waves, sweet ocean life, and tons of deeper meanings. Whether you’re a surfer, sailor, diver, or just a general ocean lover, we have the perfect ocean tattoo ideas to express your love affair with the big blue.
- Amaryllis Tattoo – Sticking with the earthy elements, you might love these Amaryllis Tattoos. Floral tattoos can also incorporate fun accents like honey bees, butterflies, and dragonflies, details that add interest and whimsy. Amaryllis flowers are among one of our favorite floral designs, check out a few of our favorites and their special meaning.
- Meaningful Tattoo Quotes – Each person has his or her own favorite quotes. For some, they think of it as a memorable part of their lives or a lesson in life that they can learn from. Check out a few of our favorite inspirational tattoo quotes and sayings that make perfect body art inspo.