Swimming through the Seven Seas and charming men with their siren songs, mermaids have long been a subject of myth, legend, and beauty. Ranging across cultures, there is plenty of symbolism and meaning found within the mermaid’s body, and they’re much more than just a pretty face.
The beauty of a mermaid tattoo is the placement is perfect anywhere on your body. Their long elegant physic makes them beautiful in every location. See the beauty in each design and the amazing meaning of these mermaid ideas.
Mermaid Tattoo Meaning
The mermaid is often seen as a strong female figure, one that is free, independent, and self-directed.
Due to the mermaid’s connection with the sea, this tattoo design can symbolize nature, intuition, birth or rebirth, and creation. Since she is often depicted as luring sailors, she might represent danger, seduction, and sexuality.
She might also represent independence, freedom, mystery, a connection to the ocean, being tossed on the waves, or going with the flow.
Overall, the mermaid represents everything about the female. Below, are some of the most common meanings a mermaid tattoo can represent.
Black and White Mermaid Ideas
1. Matching Black and White Mermaid Tattoo Design
2. Mythical Ankle Tattoo
3. Beautiful Sitting Siren Design
4. Small Mermaid Tattoo
5. Minimalist Mermaid Tattoo Black and White
6. Bicep Tattoo Idea
7. Traditional Mermaid Tattoo Design
8. Siren Mermaid Tattoos
9. Black and White Tail Tattoo
Little Mermaid Tattoo Designs
10. Black and White Little Mermaid
11. Watercolor Little Mermaid Tattoo
12. Ariel + Sebastian Tattoo
13. Magical Little Mermaid Design
14. Ariel Outline Tattoo
15. Joyful Little Mermaid
16. Detailed Watercolor Mermaid
17. Waves Crashing with Ariel
18. Bubly Little Mermaid Tattoo
Mermaid Scale Ideas
19. Watercolor Mermaid Scale
20. Mermaid Thigh Tattoo
21. Mermaid Scale Tattoo
22. Large Scales
23. Scale Foot Tattoo
24. Full Body Scales
25. Scaley Thigh Tattoo
Mermaid Tail Tattoos
26. Diving Mermaid Tail
27. Under the Sea Tail Tattoo
28. Detailed Mermaid Tail Design
29. Tail Outline
30. Small Tail Tattoo
31. Watercolored Tail
More Tattoo Inspiration for You to Enjoy
- Prettiest Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas – Hummingbirds are a popular choice for tattoo designs since they are very detailed and delicate looking birds. Many tattoo lovers are opting for the hummingbird tattoo given the bird’s unique capabilities and beauty. Tattoos that utilize birds of any type at the center of their design have gained a lot of preference because they incorporate color, creativity, and a natural image.
- Our Favorite Freckle Tattoo Ideas – Cosmetic tattooing is nothing new. From eyebrow microblading to permanent eyeliner, more and more people are turning toward ink to make sure they look flawless from the moment they wake up. One of the more popular processes at the moment is freckle tattoos. While excessive sun exposure can cause serious skin damage, faux freckles are the semi-permanent option to get you looking constantly sun-kissed.
- Cute Little Tattoos – Small tattoos may be discreet, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a huge impact. In fact, sometimes little tattoo ideas for women are the most meaningful! Plus, if you’re getting a tattoo for the first time, you may want to consider getting a tiny tattoo design somewhere that can be hidden. Nevertheless, with so many cute small tattoos to choose from, it can be a challenge picking just one piece of artwork.