Swimming through the Seven Seas and charming men with their siren songs, mermaids have long been a subject of myth, legend, and beauty. Ranging across cultures, there is plenty of symbolism and meaning found within the mermaid’s body, and they’re much more than just a pretty face.
The beauty of a mermaid tattoo is the placement is perfect anywhere on your body. Their long elegant physic makes them beautiful in every location. See the beauty in each design and the amazing meaning of these mermaid ideas.
Mermaid Tattoo Meaning
The mermaid is often seen as a strong female figure, one that is free, independent, and self-directed.
Due to the mermaid’s connection with the sea, this tattoo design can symbolize nature, intuition, birth or rebirth, and creation. Since she is often depicted as luring sailors, she might represent danger, seduction, and sexuality.
She might also represent independence, freedom, mystery, a connection to the ocean, being tossed on the waves, or going with the flow.
Overall, the mermaid represents everything about the female. Below, are some of the most common meanings a mermaid tattoo can represent.
Black and White Mermaid Ideas
1. Matching Black and White Mermaid Tattoo Design
2. Mythical Ankle Tattoo
3. Beautiful Sitting Siren Design
4. Small Mermaid Tattoo
5. Minimalist Mermaid Tattoo Black and White
6. Bicep Tattoo Idea
7. Traditional Mermaid Tattoo Design
8. Siren Mermaid Tattoos
9. Black and White Tail Tattoo
Little Mermaid Tattoo Designs
10. Black and White Little Mermaid
11. Watercolor Little Mermaid Tattoo
12. Ariel + Sebastian Tattoo
13. Magical Little Mermaid Design
14. Ariel Outline Tattoo
15. Joyful Little Mermaid
16. Detailed Watercolor Mermaid
17. Waves Crashing with Ariel
18. Bubly Little Mermaid Tattoo
Mermaid Scale Ideas
19. Watercolor Mermaid Scale
20. Mermaid Thigh Tattoo
21. Mermaid Scale Tattoo
22. Large Scales
23. Scale Foot Tattoo
24. Full Body Scales
25. Scaley Thigh Tattoo
Mermaid Tail Tattoos
26. Diving Mermaid Tail
27. Under the Sea Tail Tattoo
28. Detailed Mermaid Tail Design
29. Tail Outline
30. Small Tail Tattoo
31. Watercolored Tail
More Tattoo Inspiration for You to Enjoy
- Prettiest Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas – A popular subject in the tattoo world is the Hummingbird. It is a thing of beauty that has unique shapes and amazing abilities. Capturing those qualities in a tattoo can be really rewarding. Have a look at our list of the Prettiest Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas.
- Our Favorite Freckle Tattoo Ideas – Consider cosmetic tattooing to add permanent eyeliner, faux freckles and give your lips the perfect color. Head out the door without having to spend time adding makeup or worrying about it melting away as the day goes on. While the prices vary, it’s not much more expensive than a typical tattoo. Considering how much money you spend on makeup in a year, you’ll see that it’s worth the upfront costs. Plus, can you imagine heading out the door with flawless makeup every day without all the effort?
- Cute Little Tattoos – Little tattoos can be personal and discreet, but they can also have a giant meaning and connection for the wearer. Smaller tattoos can be good for those just starting with tattoos…you know…see if you like it before committing to a large image. If you are just starting, or looking to add something small to your existing collection, check our our list of Cute Little Tattoos.