Inside: 23 Glow in the Dark Neon Tattoo Ideas.
Neon color tattoos or glow-in-the-dark tattoos are a great way to put a vibrant spin on traditional ink. Most people assume that this tattoo style creates an ever-glowing design (that would be cool, huh?), but the truth is that most glow-in-the-dark tattoos only glow under a blacklight.
This tattooing technique is perfect for any of these three reasons: if you don’t want to have an especially visible tattoo; if you want to be the life of the (dimly-lit) party; or if you want to add a bit of pizzaz to a regular tattoo.
Neon or glow-in-the-dark tattoos are created with a special UV ink that only lasts for 12 to 18 months.
So, if you’re not very happy with the result, you’ll only have to wait some time to try something else. However, as with any tattoo, you must be sure about the design, since it will be very revealing during the night.
Are Neon Tattoos Safe?
Because tattoo artists no longer use ink with phosphorus to achieve the glowing effect, neon and glow-in-the-dark tattoos are now generally considered just as safe as a normal tattoo. To replace the chemically dangerous pigments, neon tattoos are now created using ink that is reactive to UV light.
How long do neon or glow-in-the-dark tattoos last?
These tattoos may actually be more permanent than regular tattoos because of the material used, but since it’s a relatively new tattoo trend, we don’t know for sure. For regular tattoos, how long it takes a tattoo to fade really depends on the placement.
For example, finger tattoos, although currently super popular, are most likely to fade because of all the friction your fingers experience, and your hands tend to be one of the most exposed body parts to the elements.
Like regular tattoos, both types of glow-in-the-dark tattoos are permanent and will likely take a medical procedure to be fully removed. Phosphorus and UV reactive ink are long-lasting materials, but these tattoos will still probably fade over time, especially after prolonged sun exposure.
They should be taken care of like any normal tattoo, and excessive sunlight can actually cause them, particularly UV tattoos, to become more visible in the daylight and less visible at night. Like other tattoos, you can get your glow-in-the-dark tattoo touched up to keep it looking fresh and living up to it’s glowing potential.
Neon Sign Tattoo Design Ideas
Check out how these rad neon tattoos look just like those fun neon signs!
1. Neon Love Sign
2. Rock On
3. Flamingo Design
4. Neon Light Effect Tattoo
5. As If
6. Young Hearts Run Free
7. Neon “Art” Sign
8. Neon Portrait Design
Colorful Neon Tattoo Ideas
These neon tattoo colors make your design pop out from the rest. The bright, vibrant colors offer a huge statement.
9. Neon Colors
10. Bright and Bold Giraffe
11. Colorful Jellyfish Tattoo
12. Neon Gameboy
13. Glowing Cactus
14. Space Jar Tattoo
15. Bright Neon Colors
Glow in the Dark Neon Tattoos
Glow-in-the-dark tattoos are tattoos made with vivid, fluorescent colors that are quite difficult to see in daylight. These types of tattoos don’t quite live up to their names, though: They won’t simply glow when you turn off the lights. Instead, glow-in-the-dark tattoos generally require a blacklight to trigger the glow-like reaction due to the UVA light it omits.
If you crave getting inked but don’t have the balls to do it, or simply want to give your regular tattoo a twist, a black-light responsive tattoo might be the thing to consider. Otherwise called UV tattoos, they are only visible under black light when they heal!
Be the brightest star in a nightclub or that dude (or chick) at a rave party. Or avoid getting looked down in that fancy office that you work at.
16. Glowing Butterfly Tattoo
17. Lotus Glowing Tattoo
18. Firey Flames
19. Neon Dragon Tattoo
20. Hidden Skeleton
21. Glowing Flowers
22. Glowing Galaxy
23. Bright Flame Tattoo
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
- Lighthouse Tattoo Ideas – For hundreds of years, lighthouses were in place with the sole reason of protecting sailors from a shipwreck and lighting their way. It’s no wonder that lighthouse tattoos have become a popular choice for those who wish to carry a symbol of inner faith and a reminder of one’s own road.
- Half Sleeve Tattoo Ideas for Women – Tattoos have grown in popularity over the last decade but the half sleeve tattoos for women, in particular, have been growing rapidly. This tattoo begins either above the elbow to the shoulder or below the elbow to the wrist. This type of tattoo takes thought in creation, but it also takes thought in whether it works for each person, as it’s not as easy to cover up. Many questions arise and endless hours of research occur when looking for that perfect look. What is the statement I am trying to make? What will these tattoos represent? And the list could go on, and on, and on…
- Semicolon Tattoo Ideas – Every tattoo has a story that’s meant to be told, shared, celebrated, and experienced. One particular design that’s making waves across the Internet is that of a semicolon tattoo. They aren’t just a trend, they’re a symbol of a silent fight. Here are 89 of the most inspiring Semicolon Tattoo ideas!
Test Out These Tattoo Products
Looking to check how you like a tattoo but don’t want something permanent? These temporary tattoos are perfect for you. Or maybe you have new fresh ink and want some care supplies, we have just what you need. Click the links below to test out some of our favorite products.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Florals Sheets – Includes two sheets of Watercolor Florals temporary tattoos and designed by Helen Deal. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days. Designed by professional artists who get a cut of every sale
- Bright Aftercare All Natural Tattoo Lotion – Reduce itching in your new tattoo and extend the life of color and line sharpness. Bright Tattoo Tattoo Aftercare Lotion soothes inflamed skin, reduces itchiness, and may even help your new tattoo heal quickly and evenly. Continuing to use after being inked will keep your skin moisturized and healing and may increase the length of time between touch-ups.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Butterflies Set – Includes a set of eight temporary tattoos and designed by Stina Persson. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages. Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days
- Disposable Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wrap – Comes with 16 Roll of Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wraps in 6 Different Colors. Dimensions: 1.6″ x 5 yards (W x L) Per Roll. Self Adhesive Strips Make it Very Easy to Attach it on Tattoo Grips.