Inside: Meaningful Olive Branch Tattoo Ideas.
Tattoos are way for us to outwardly express what we inwardly feel. They are a way from the wearer to show the world who they really are, what really matters to them. Many people put a lot of time, energy, and effort in choosing a tattoo design that captures who they are and what they value. One of the more popular designs people are going for these days is the olive branch tattoo.
An olive branch tattoo packs quite a punch when it comes to symbolism and meaning. Part of lore and literature the world over, the olive branch has come to represent many different things over time. We often think of the old adage “I extended an olive branch” as a metaphor for calling a truce in the midst of a fight or disagreement.
You will see that the olive branch symbolizes much more than that.
Take a look at this collection of beautiful, meaningful, and unique Olive Branch Tattoo Ideas and Designs.
What Does an Olive Branch Tattoo Mean?
For hundreds–if not thousands–of years, the olive branch has come to symbolize peace, harmony, and even victory. If you’re someone who has a peaceful, harmonious personality, the olive branch would be a great tattoo idea for you. The olive branch is often used in political seals, official documents, or famous pieces of art to symbolize the continuing desire for world peace. It has long been a staple of artistic expression–why not incorporate it into your next tattoo?
Olive branches have also come to represent prosperity and happiness. Many people, especially in the Mediterranean basin where the olive tree has its origins, plant the tree in hopes of blessing their homes or neighborhoods. Getting an olive branch tattoo would encapsulate that hope for a better world, a better experience as you walk through that world.
History of an Olive Branch
In Ancient Greece, the olive branch was often used in supplication to power–acolytes would extend the branch when meeting with a god, goddess, or political leader of the day to show their subservience. When fighting over who would rule Athens, Poseidon and Athena both offered gifts. Athena’s gift of the olive tree was seen as the better gift, thus making her the patron goddess of Athens itself. The first Olympic competitors in Ancient Greece were crowned with an olive wreath, as were brides to represent the harmonious union of two individuals.
The olive branch also holds some symbolism in western Christianity. When God flooded the earth and Noah sent out a dove to find new land, it returned with an olive branch in its beak, signifying a new beginning, a chance to start over. Many religious iconography incorporates the olive branch to represent the benevolence of the Holy Spirit, the third entity in that ethereal trio of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Simple Design Ideas
These olive branch tattoos are simple, sweet, and perfect for making a statement.
1. Shoulder Branch Design
2. Small Ankle Tattoo Idea – This is one of our favorite simple designs!
3. Olive Branch Wrist Wrap
4. Olive Heart Tattoo
5. Realistic Olive Branch – We love how realistic, yet simple this idea is.
6. Simple Olive Branch Design
7. Realistic Food Tattoo
Dove with Olive Branch Tattoo
Traditionally, in Christianity, the dove holding the olive branch represents peace and harmony. Tattoos depicting a dove holding an olive branch in its talons represent both victory and success. Many people will often get this tattoo to symbolize success in both relationships and life.
8. Black Outlined Design
9. Large Side Tattoo
10. Pretty Dove Wrist Tattoo Idea – This is so pretty!
11. Small Heart Tattoo with Dove
12. Tiny Dove with Olive Branch
Large Olive Branch Design Ideas
If you’re looking for a massive statement, then these larger olive branch designs are perfect for you.
13. Large Olive Branch Design
14. Black and White Chest Piece – Large but so perfectly done and detailed.
15. Olive Branch Tattoo Sleeve
16. All Green Olive Branch
17. Unique Neck Tattoo
18. Perfect Arm Branch Design
19. Beautiful Ankle Tattoo – Another one of our favorite olive branch designs.
Small Branch Tattoo Designs
These small, detailed branch designs are perfect for a first tattoo or as a filler option.
20. Small Bicep Idea – This design is so simple and soft but still packed full of beautiful needlework.
21. Back of Neck Olive Branch
22. Bold Branch Outline
23. Single Stem
24. Crossed Stems
25. Branch Tattoo – We love when a tattoo is done perfectly in black outline, and this olive branch design is defiantly one of those!
More Design Ideas You’ll Love
If you like these meaningful olive branch tattoo ideas, then you love these other fun tattoo inspiration round-ups!
- Palm Tattoo Ideas – If you have a serious addiction to tattoos, you might be ready to opt for a palm tattoo. Palm tattoos are awesome and will make you look even more badass than you already do. Plus, if you can tough through the pain of a palm tattoo, you can pretty much tough through anything! Don’t let that scare you away, though. Don’t make any decisions until you have seen all of these palm tattoo designs.
- Bunny Tattoos – Consider getting a bunny rabbit tattoo if you want a good luck charm to carry with you everywhere you go. They are known for representing wealth, fertility, protection, nature, happiness, and strength. There are sweet and adorable designs as well as fierce and powerful rabbit tattoos. Look over these bunny rabbit tattoo designs to see what fits your personality best.
- Pretty Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas – A popular subject in the tattoo world is the Hummingbird. It is a thing of beauty that has unique shapes and amazing abilities. Capturing those qualities in a tattoo can be really rewarding. Have a look at our list of the Prettiest Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas.
Test Out These Tattoo Products
Looking to check how you like a tattoo but don’t want something permanent? These temporary tattoos are perfect for you. Or maybe you have new fresh ink and want some care supplies, we have just what you need. Click the links below to test out some of our favorite products.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Florals Sheets– Not quite sure you know what you’d like when it come to a permanent tattoo? Try a temporary tattoo! The watercolor style has recently taken the tattoo world by storm. Take a look at some of our floral watercolor designs to see if it would the perfect permanent fit for you.
- Bright Aftercare All Natural Tattoo Lotion – New tattoos are exciting, but you will experience itchiness and inflammation. To prevent irritation, to speed up your recovery time, and to extend the life and vibrancy of your new tattoo, we recommend using Bright Tattoo – Tattoo Aftercare Lotion. For the best results, you can use it daily to keep your skin moisturized, happy, and extend the time you need between ink touch-ups.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Butterflies Set – Temporary watercolor tattoos are a really fun way to gain the experience of wearing a tattoo without the long-term commitment. The butterfly set of watercolor tattoos is a fan favorite. Have a look at our list of temporary watercolor butterflies set tattoos.
- Disposable Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wrap – Need to cover your new tattoo? Get this self grip wrap! It comes in several different colors and because it has a self grip there is no need for tape. It’s comfortable and can be used in other ways too. Check it out and get some ordered today!