Inside: New School Tattoo Defined + Ideas For Your Own.
What is a New School Tattoo?
A new school is a tattooing style originating as early as the 1970s and influenced by some features of old-school tattooing in the United States. The style is often characterized by the use of heavy outlines, vivid colors, and exaggerated depictions of the subject.
- Vivid tones, eye-catching characters, rounded shapes, and cartoonish concepts are part of the style of New School tattoos.
- Much like American Traditional tattoos or Neo-Traditional tattoos, New School tattoos use bold black lines to help keep color from spreading, and they also use large shapes and designs to help with the ability to easily form highly legible tattoos.
- New School tattooing is highly influenced by video games, comic books, tv shows, Disney movies, anime, graffiti, and more.
What is the difference between old-school and new-school tattoos?
It is similar to old-school tattooing in that they both generally employ heavy outlines. In contrast to the restricted palette in old school, however, new school tattoos frequently use a range of bright colors. However, old school subjects are commonly done in a new school style as a way of expressing homage or irony.
New School Tattoo Examples
1. Crystal Ball
2. Open Book
Need more inspiration? Check out more of our favorite New School Tattoos HERE!
How to Decide on the Best New School Tattoo For You
Whether you’re a gamer girl or simply love the bold, fantastical aesthetic found in new school tattoos, there are a few things to consider when planning a new school tattoo for yourself. There are many different factors to think about when choosing a new school tattoo design. By taking the time to ask yourself the important questions, you’ll have a new tattoo you can be proud to show off for many years to come.
While it is important to have a subject matter in mind when planning any new tattoo, this is especially vital when it comes to the new school tattoo style. This is because the new school style is centered around pop culture. If you can’t decide on a pop culture reference that you would like to celebrate in your design, work with your tattoo artist to put the new school spin on something less common to the style.
New School Tattoo Placement
Due to the amount of detail and whimsy associated with new school tattoos, this style usually results in large tattoos. For this reason, it’s important that you have a good idea of placement when choosing a design.
This is a big one. Compared to other popular tattoo styles, new school tattoos hold color schemes in especially high regard. If you’re looking for a more subtle color palette, new school tattoos may not be for you.
Your Tattoo Artist
Finally, make choosing your tattoo artist an important step in the process of deciding on the best new school tattoo for you. New school tattoos are difficult to get just right and tattoo artists that specialize in this style are in very high demand.
Learn More About Tattoos
- What is Body Art – It is made on, with, or consisting of, the human body. The most common forms are tattoos and piercings. Other types include scarification, branding, subdermal implants, shaping (for example tight-lacing of corsets), full-body tattoo, and body painting.
- Daisy Tattoo Ideas – Honestly, daisies are one of my all-time favorite flowers, they are just so bright, fun, and full of life. Daisy is a form of flower purely for the female kind and is one of the most versatile tattoos you can wear on your body. The tattoo is highly decorative and comes in different colors and sizes. You can even add a custom design to the tattoos depending on your preferences. With soft petals and humble appearance, it is almost impossible to ignore its fascinating design.
- Flower Tattoo Ideas – When you combine the beauty of a flower with the edginess of a wrist tattoo you have a winning combination for a feminine and unique design. Flower wrist tattoos remain a popular choice for many reasons. Adding to their obvious beauty is the individual meanings of the flowers. Some flowers represent love and friendship, while others have associations of new life and peace. While their personal significance may remain a secret, their beauty can be shared with others.