Inside: Simple Water Lily Tattoo Designs + Ideas.
When it comes to adding art to your body, choosing a tattoo can be a daunting task. The pool of options is a vast sea that you can pull from, and in that sea, one of the most consistently timeless choices remains; Flower Tattoos! Flower tattoos are a wonderful way to honor nature while also paying homage to your femininity.
Flowers are a go-to design for many women looking to get a tattoo, and for good reason.
Flowers are more than just something pretty to look at.
In fact, behind each flower lies powerful symbolic meanings that can add both depth and purpose to a tattoo. Although there are many flowers to choose from, today we are going to focus on…drum roll please…the Water Lily!
Table of Contents
What is a Water Lily?
These are a part of a family of freshwater flowering plants that are native to many tropical parts of the world. Their scientific name, Nymphaeaceae, is a bit of a mouthful, so they are more commonly known as the Water Lily. The Water Lily gets between 3 to 6 inches tall and grows in a wide variety of colors including; pink, blue, red, white, purple, and even black. In the United States, Water Lilies Bloom between the months of May and September, each flower lasting 4 days until settling under the water to decompose.
What Does the Water Lily Flower Symbolize?
The Water Lily Symbolizes fertility, purity, celebration, rebirth, innocence, wellness, and peace.
Since this flower predominantly grows in water, it is correlated with the symbolic idea of birth, life, and death. It is truly the circle of life, in one flower. Not only this, but this plant actually purifies the water that it grows and thrives in, hence the symbol of purity.
This flower also has a spiritual significance in many cultures including the ancient Egyptians, who thought of the water lily as a symbol of unity. The Mayan Culture regarded this plant as a sacred flower. In fact, they’re also considered sacred in many religions of the world including as well, including Christianity, Buddhism, and Hinduism.
What Meaning Does a Water Lily Tattoo Have?
A Water Lily Tattoo can signify an overall sense of peace and love for yourself. It encapsulates innocence and a deep appreciation of wellness inside and out. This can also represent your ongoing spiritual journey and the trajectory of your life in accordance with your desires. It is a tattoo of transformation and balance.
Water Lily Tattoo Designs:
To start off, here are several varying types of Water Lily Tattoos for you to be able to get a feel for what your style is. Here are a few of our favorites that we hope you’ll love!
1. Single Water Lily in Color
2. Water Lily in Black and White
3. Black and White Water Lily Sleeve
4. Realistic Pink Water Lily
5. Water Lily in Water
6. Vibrant Blue Water Lily with Butterfly
7. Gorgeous Black and White Lily
8. Pastel Purple Water Lily
9. Water Lily Bouquet with Butterflies
10. Classic and Simple Water Lily
11. Black and White Water Lily on Shoulder
Water Lily Pad Tattoos:
Like the look of the Lily flower with the accompanying Lily Pad that it’s also known for? Look at some of our favorite Lily Pad Tattoos!
12. Dainty Lily Pad in Black and White
13.Water Lily with Pad and Root System
14.Simple Lily Pad Addition to Black and White Sleeve
15. Abstract Lily Pad Line Work
16. Colorful Lily Pad with Frog
17.Black and White Simple Lily Pad with fish
18.Colorful Pink and Green Lily with Quote
Simple and Small Water Lily Tattoo Designs:
If you are searching for something small and simple, then take a peek at these!
19. Dainty Water Lily on Ankle
20. Simple Line Water Lily with Dots
21.Tiny Water Lily on Shoulder
22. Clean Geometric Water Lily
23. Water Lily with Stem on Ankle
24.Small and Colorful Pink Water Lily
25. Simple Abstract Water Lily
26.Clean Water Lily in Red Ink
27. Quarter Sized Single Line Lily
28. Little Red Water Lily On Ankle
29. Water Lily with a Mandala Stem
30. Water Lily with Chandalier Style on Wrist
31. Red Water Lily with Yellow Center
Water lily and Rose Tattoos:
32. Realistic and Colorful Rose and Waterlily Tattoo
33. Black & White Rose and Water Lily
34. Beautiful Waterlily and Rose with Mandala
35. Realistic Black & White Rose and Water Lily
Water Lily with Other Flowers:
Water Lilies can look amazing when paired with other flowers as well! These are some of our favorite Water Lily Tattoos that Incorporate other flowers.
36. Water Lily with Daisys
37. Flower Trio: Aster, Water Lily & Narcissus
38. Vibrant Plumeria and Water Lily Tattoo
39. Water Lily and Calendula Bouquet
40. Black & White Mixed Flower Forearm Tattoo
41. Beautiful Flower Bundle with Simple Stems
42. Colorful Flower Trio with Bold Line Work
43.Intricate Daisy and Water Lily Bundle
44. Chrysantiums & Water Lilies with Clean Lines
45. Classic and Colorful Water Lily & Plumeria Flowers
Water Lily Tattoos that feature Animals:
Animals can help add even more personality and meaning to your tattoo. Below are some of the coolest Animal & Water Lily tattoos that we’ve seen!
46. Bold Water Lily & Goldfish Tattoo
47. Delicate Turtle and Lily Pad in Black & White
48.Elegant Elephant with Water Lilies
49. Realistic Black & White Water Lily with Tiger
50. Intense Medusa Head Tattoo with Snakes and Water Lilies
51. King Cobra Wrapped Around Water Lily
52.Water Lily and DragonFly Ankle Wrap Tattoo
53. Colorful Frog and Lily Pad on Leg
54. Detailed Koi and Water Lily in Black & White
55. Water Lilies Surrounding a Pair of Koi Fish
56. Beautiful Realistic Cat and Lily Pad
57. Detailed Alligator with Water Lilies
58. Epic Dragon and Water Lily in Black & White
Classic Water Lily Tattoos:
Of course, you can never overlook the classics. The final examples below all incorporate a similar bold linework that is known in the tattoo world as being a part of the classic genre.
59. Classic and Detailed Water Lily
60. Adorable Goldfish and Lily Pad Tattoo
61. Bold Pink and Green Water Lily
62. Black & White Water Lily Surrounded by Wave
63. Grey Soft Japanese Water Lily Tattoo
64. Vibrant Pink and Purple Realistic Lily
65. Colorful Lilypad with LadyBug
66. Big Koi and Water Lily Shoulder Tattoo
67. Colorful Lily Top of Spine Tattoo
68.Pink and Green Water Lily with Thick Lines
69. Simple Matching Water Lily Forearm Tattoos
70. Vibrant Water Lily Back Tattoo
71.Black & White Lily Pad With Setting Sun
More Flower Tattoo Design Ideas You’ll Love!
- Pretty Poppy Tattoo Designs + Ideas – There is lots of symbolism behind getting a beautiful poppy tattoo. It could mean that you are carefree, a free spirit, and independent. Or they also represent peace, death of a loved one, and rest. No matter what meaning matters to you, a brand new poppy flower tattoo is sure to brighten your day and your spirit. Look over these lovely poppy flower tattoo designs!
- Stunning Amaryllis Tattoo Designs + Meanings – If you are looking for a big magnificent piece that stands out, consider getting an amaryllis tattoo. Not only does an amaryllis flower look magical, but they also hold a lot of meaning too. They are a symbol of deep love, overcoming struggles, pride, and art. Take a peek at these inspiring Amaryllis flower tattoos, and you’ll see why they are so popular.
- Meaningful Chrysanthemum Tattoo Ideas – If you want a tattoo that makes other people turn their heads and tell you how much they love your tattoo, consider getting a chrysanthemum! They are large, brilliant flowers with deep shades of orange, red, pink, purple, and blue. Plus, they look amazing in black and gray tattoo designs as well. All of these chrysanthemum tattoo designs are incredibly stunning and real show stoppers.