Inside: Beautiful Peacock Tattoo Designs + Their Meaning
Peacocks are bold, territorial, and confident birds that show off their vibrant, colorful tails to attract mating partners and scare off predators; it’s no wonder they’re a sought-after subject for ink. The bird’s tail feathers are covered in distinctive bright circles that look like eyes and are easily the most prominent feature in these tattoos.
While male peacocks are the ones with the beautiful trains, women are more likely to adorn themselves with these beautiful tats than men.
The peacock tattoo designs are often as colorful, or even more vivid, than the birds themselves and take a prominent place on the body, begging to be seen.
Peacock Tattoo Meaning
While most people choose peacock tattoos for their beauty and showiness, their rich history full of meaning can enhance your ink and give it even more meaning.
Metaphorically speaking, the peacock needs to be at the center of attention, to be the main attraction. Consequently, it’s very popular with the ‘life of the party’ types.
This bird is also associated with openness and tolerance. They make for great tattoo symbols when you want to illustrate that you embrace and celebrate diversity.
The Peacock’s Eyes
The eye-like circles on the peacock’s tail often have their own history. To the Greeks and Romans, they were associated with Hera, the mother goddess and legendary creator of this distinctive bird. The eyes on their tails represented the eyes of the stars watching down on all that represents life on the globe.
This eye symbolism is often emphasized with tattoos. A colorful peacock feather tat with the eyespot replaced by a real eye adds a unique touch to your body art and can help to make it stand out even further.
The peacock’s feather grows back after the bird has molted, and this has become subject to spiritual interpretation. Early Christians saw them as a representation of the resurrection and rebirth. For spiritual tattoos, the white species, due to the color’s connection with purity, is the most common subject.
In Hinduism, the peacock symbolizes success, and it was believed the bird walked with the Goddess of good fortune, Lakshmi. The Eastern parts of the world, such as in Asia, Kuan Yin, the Goddess of compassion, is believed to have created the distinctive tail. She created the bird to stand in her place so that it could guard the planet and protect nature and all life.
These Eastern interpretations offer another level of meaning for your peacock tattoo, one that can easily be combined with other symbols and ideas. A feather representing the third eye can be added to illustrations to symbolize protection or a wish for good fortune.
Peacock Tattoo Designs
We have the best list of ideas for all your peacock tattoo dreams, check out a few of our favorites.
1. Black Outlined Peacock Tattoo Idea
2. Ornate Peacock Design
3. Sketched Modern Tattoo Idea
4. Bold and Vibrant Peacock Art
5. Full Peacock Tattoo Idea
6. Whispy Peacock Feathers
7. Small Black and White Peacock
8. Mandala Inspired Peacock
9. Detailed Peacock Feathers
10. Peacock Chest Piece Tattoo
Cool Peacock Tattoo Ideas
These peacock tattoo designs are packed full of crazy cool colors and intricate detail that you will love.
11. Shoulder Peacock Tattoo
12. Full Sleeve Peacock Design
13. Colorful Japanese Peacock Tattoo
14. Peacocks and Cherry Blossoms
15. Purple Peacock Design
16. Peacock Back Tattoo Idea
17. Neon Old School Tattoo Design
18. Full Back Design
19. Ornate Peacock Outline Tattoo
20. Bold and Vibrant Peacock Head
21. Matching Peacocks
Peacock Feather Tattoo Ideas
Peacock Feather Tattoo Meaning
A peacock feather is said to absorb negative energies and protect the wearer from any bad happenings. It is also thought of as a symbol of good luck in most parts of the world. The feathers are used for decorative purposes in homes as well as means to keep away insects and flies.
22. Soft Colorful Peacock Feather
23. Detailed Peacock Feather
24. Peacock Feather Arrow
25. Feathered Infinity Sign
26. Large Full Back Peacock Feather Design
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
If you like these colorful and detailed peacock tattoo designs, then check out a few more of our favorites.
- Meaningful Olive Branch Tattoo Ideas –They say that tattoos are artistic expressions of a person’s lifeworld and personal story. This simply means a tattoo is not inked in someone’s skin without reason. There is a lot of symbolism within one tattoo design and one of the most symbolic tattoo designs would be the olive branch tattoo. The olive branch tattoo is one of those designs that brings with it attractiveness and a boatload of meaning. Most people know that “to offer an olive branch” means to stop an argument and to bring peace, but there’s even more to the olive branch tattoo than that. Take a look at this collection of beautiful, meaningful, and unique Olive Branch Tattoo Ideas and Designs.
- Pretty Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas – Hummingbirds are a popular choice for tattoo designs since they are very detailed and delicate-looking birds. Many tattoo lovers are opting for the hummingbird tattoo given the bird’s unique capabilities and beauty. Tattoos that utilize birds of any type at the center of their design have gained a lot of preference because they incorporate color, creativity, and a natural image.
- Palm Tattoo Ideas – The palms are unlike most other locations on the body because their callused skin presents the artist with a tricky texture to work on. Palm tattoos are also very prone to fading. However, a pro tattoo artist who’s very experienced with the needle together with reasonable expectations can result in excellent tattoo design, even if it’s on your wrinkled little fingers! These totally cool palm tattoo ideas are a perfect starting point for your next ink session.
Test Out These Tattoo Products
Looking to check how you like a tattoo but don’t want something permanent? These temporary tattoos are perfect for you. Or maybe you have new fresh ink and want some care supplies, we have just what you need. Click the links below to test out some of our favorite products.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Florals Sheets – Includes two sheets of Watercolor Florals temporary tattoos and designed by Helen Deal. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days. Designed by professional artists who get a cut of every sale
- Bright Aftercare All Natural Tattoo Lotion – Reduce itching in your new tattoo and extend the life of color and line sharpness. Bright Tattoo Tattoo Aftercare Lotion soothes inflamed skin, reduces itchiness, and may even help your new tattoo heal quickly and evenly. Continuing to use after being inked will keep your skin moisturized and healing and may increase the length of time between touch-ups.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Butterflies Set – Includes a set of eight temporary tattoos and designed by Stina Persson. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages. Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days
- Disposable Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wrap – Comes with 16 Roll of Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wraps in 6 Different Colors. Dimensions: 1.6″ x 5 yards (W x L) Per Roll. Self Adhesive Strips Make it Very Easy to Attach it on Tattoo Grips.