Inside: Beautiful Peacock Tattoo Designs + Their Meaning
Peacocks are bold, territorial, and confident birds that show off their vibrant, colorful tails to attract mating partners and scare off predators; it’s no wonder they’re a sought-after subject for ink. The bird’s tail feathers are covered in distinctive bright circles that look like eyes and are easily the most prominent feature in these tattoos.
While male peacocks are the ones with the beautiful trains, women are more likely to adorn themselves with these beautiful tats than men.
The peacock tattoo designs are often as colorful, or even more vivid, than the birds themselves and take a prominent place on the body, begging to be seen.
Peacock Tattoo Meaning
While most people choose peacock tattoos for their beauty and showiness, their rich history full of meaning can enhance your ink and give it even more meaning.
Metaphorically speaking, the peacock needs to be at the center of attention, to be the main attraction. Consequently, it’s very popular with the ‘life of the party’ types.
This bird is also associated with openness and tolerance. They make for great tattoo symbols when you want to illustrate that you embrace and celebrate diversity.
The Peacock’s Eyes
The eye-like circles on the peacock’s tail often have their own history. To the Greeks and Romans, they were associated with Hera, the mother goddess and legendary creator of this distinctive bird. The eyes on their tails represented the eyes of the stars watching down on all that represents life on the globe.
This eye symbolism is often emphasized with tattoos. A colorful peacock feather tat with the eyespot replaced by a real eye adds a unique touch to your body art and can help to make it stand out even further.
The peacock’s feather grows back after the bird has molted, and this has become subject to spiritual interpretation. Early Christians saw them as a representation of the resurrection and rebirth. For spiritual tattoos, the white species, due to the color’s connection with purity, is the most common subject.
In Hinduism, the peacock symbolizes success, and it was believed the bird walked with the Goddess of good fortune, Lakshmi. The Eastern parts of the world, such as in Asia, Kuan Yin, the Goddess of compassion, is believed to have created the distinctive tail. She created the bird to stand in her place so that it could guard the planet and protect nature and all life.
These Eastern interpretations offer another level of meaning for your peacock tattoo, one that can easily be combined with other symbols and ideas. A feather representing the third eye can be added to illustrations to symbolize protection or a wish for good fortune.
Peacock Tattoo Designs
We have the best list of ideas for all your peacock tattoo dreams, check out a few of our favorites.
1. Black Outlined Peacock Tattoo Idea
2. Ornate Peacock Design
3. Sketched Modern Tattoo Idea
4. Bold and Vibrant Peacock Art
5. Full Peacock Tattoo Idea
6. Whispy Peacock Feathers
7. Small Black and White Peacock
8. Mandala Inspired Peacock
9. Detailed Peacock Feathers
10. Peacock Chest Piece Tattoo
Cool Peacock Tattoo Ideas
These peacock tattoo designs are packed full of crazy cool colors and intricate detail that you will love.
11. Shoulder Peacock Tattoo
12. Full Sleeve Peacock Design
13. Colorful Japanese Peacock Tattoo
14. Peacocks and Cherry Blossoms
15. Purple Peacock Design
16. Peacock Back Tattoo Idea
17. Neon Old School Tattoo Design
18. Full Back Design
19. Ornate Peacock Outline Tattoo
20. Bold and Vibrant Peacock Head
21. Matching Peacocks
Peacock Feather Tattoo Ideas
Peacock Feather Tattoo Meaning
A peacock feather is said to absorb negative energies and protect the wearer from any bad happenings. It is also thought of as a symbol of good luck in most parts of the world. The feathers are used for decorative purposes in homes as well as means to keep away insects and flies.
22. Soft Colorful Peacock Feather
23. Detailed Peacock Feather
24. Peacock Feather Arrow
25. Feathered Infinity Sign
26. Large Full Back Peacock Feather Design
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
If you like these colorful and detailed peacock tattoo designs, then check out a few more of our favorites.
- Meaningful Olive Branch Tattoo Ideas –The olive branch tattoo is one of those designs that brings with it attractiveness and a boatload of meaning. Most people know that “to offer an olive branch” means to stop an argument and to bring peace, but there’s even more to the olive branch tattoo than that. Take a look at this collection of beautiful, meaningful, and unique Olive Branch Tattoo Ideas and Designs.
- Pretty Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas – A popular subject in the tattoo world is the Hummingbird. It is a thing of beauty that has unique shapes and amazing abilities. Capturing those qualities in a tattoo can be really rewarding. Have a look at our list of the Prettiest Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas.
- Palm Tattoo Ideas – If you have a serious addiction to tattoos, you might be ready to opt for a palm tattoo. Palm tattoos are awesome and will make you look even more badass than you already do. Plus, if you can tough through the pain of a palm tattoo, you can pretty much tough through anything! Don’t let that scare you away, though. Don’t make any decisions until you have seen all of these palm tattoo designs.
Test Out These Tattoo Products
Looking to check how you like a tattoo but don’t want something permanent? These temporary tattoos are perfect for you. Or maybe you have new fresh ink and want some care supplies, we have just what you need. Click the links below to test out some of our favorite products.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Florals Sheets– Includes two sheets of Watercolor Florals temporary tattoos and designed by Helen Deal. Safe & non-toxic, printed with vegetable-based ink; FDA-compliant and fun for all ages Each tattoo will last 2 – 4 days. Designed by professional artists who get a cut of every sale
- Bright Aftercare All Natural Tattoo Lotion – New tattoos are exciting, but you will experience itchiness and inflammation. To prevent irritation, to speed up your recovery time, and to extend the life and vibrancy of your new tattoo, we recommend using Bright Tattoo – Tattoo Aftercare Lotion. For the best results, you can use it daily to keep your skin moisturized, happy, and extend the time you need between ink touch-ups.
- Temporary Tattoos Watercolor Butterflies Set – Temporary watercolor tattoos are a really fun way to gain the experience of wearing a tattoo without the long-term commitment. The butterfly set of watercolor tattoos is a fan favorite. Have a look at our list of temporary watercolor butterflies set tattoos.
- Disposable Cohesive Tattoo Grip Cover Wrap – Need to cover your new tattoo? Get this self grip wrap! It comes in several different colors and because it has a self grip there is no need for tape. It’s comfortable and can be used in other ways too. Check it out and get some ordered today!