Inside: The deep meaning behind a Japanese dragon tattoo & amazing ideas.
Chances are you have seen a Japanese dragon tattoo before. They have a very distinct look and are very memorable. This is because they are some of the prettiest and COOLEST tattoos out there, in my opinion, at least.
Before you assume, no, I do not have one…so my opinion is not biased. They are just that cool!
If you want to see for yourself, then you are in luck. Today I have compiled an epic list of some of the coolest Japanese dragon tattoo designs for you to look at. These will hopefully give you some inspiration for your own tattoo. But before we get into that, we must discuss the meaning behind these sick tats.
Japanese Dragon Tattoo Meaning
Along with their breathtaking beauty, dragons also have a deep philosophical place in Japanese culture.
According to Pagongkyoto.com, “All in all, Japanese dragons are the benefactors and protectors of mankind; powerful and wise guardians that shield us from universal dangers, and impart their wisdom. A symbol of good fortune, they bring us happiness, offering us strength and courage at each important turning point in our lives.”
How cool is that?
Japanese Dragon Cost
A Japanese dragon tattoo is a pretty detailed design, regardless of how big it is. I can estimate that getting one will cost you at least $200 and upwards of $10,000, depending on how big you get your piece.
The best way to get an accurate estimate is to figure out exactly what it is you want to get and then show that to your soon-to-be tattoo artist. They will be able to guess how long it will take them to complete, which will give you your price.
Do Tattoos Hurt?
Yes, tattoos hurt. In order to get a tattoo, you have to undergo a process where a needle stabs your skin more than 100 times per second. This is obviously going to elicit some pain. But I have good news!
There are places on your body that hurt less than others to get done. These are the places with more fat and muscle, so try to avoid the boney areas. You can also ask your artist if they carry numbing spray or cream. This stuff will help to numb the tattooed area, so you feel less pain.
Still interested in getting a dragon tattoo? Sweet! Let’s get into it.
Simple Japanese Dragon Tattoo Ideas
First up, here are some simple designs. I say simple, but they are anything but. When it comes to dragon tattoos, even the simplest of designs are still heavily detailed. Look!
1. Geometric Dragon Ink
2. Black and White Sketch
3. Dark Blue and Dragon
4. Full Leg Sleeve with Simple Lines
5. Adorable Dragon with Blue
6. Grey and Curly Dragon
7. Detailed Dragon with Simple Lines
8. Cute Detailed Matching Tattoos
9. Black Curled Dragon with Red
10. Classic Dragon with Red Flowers
11. Whimsical Smokey Dragon
12. Single Dragon with Red Lines
13. Funny Little Dragon Head
14. Delicate Lined Dragon
15. Haku Half Sleeve
16. 2 Dragon Heads
17. Red-Inked Dragon
18. Black Dragon with Red Blossoms
19. Perfect Dragon Outline
20. Adorable Little Dragon
Black and White Dragon Tattoo
If you prefer black and white tattoos, then you will love this list. I think the dragon looks great, both with or without color.
21. Detailed Dragon with Whiskers
22. Thin-Lined Dragon Design
23. Dragon with Red Whiskers
24. Huge Snake Dragon
25. Dragon with Curly Tail
26. Dragon Flying Down
27. Black and White Dragon Design
28. Japanese Dragon Design
29. Snarling Dragon Design with Clouds
30. Dragon Leg Design with Smoke
31. Black and White Dragon with Red Flowers
32. Dragon Head Tattoo
33. Black Spaced Dragon Design
34. Soft Black Dragon Design
35. Cute Dragon with Detailed Face
36. Dotted Dragon with Curly Body
37. Full Tatted Back
38. Dark Dragon Face with Shadows
39. Classical Dragon Sketch
40. Dragon Circle
Meaningful Dragon Tattoo Designs
This next section is some more meaningful designs. You will see what I mean when you start to look through them. Amazing!
41. Peace Sign Dragon Design
42. Colorful Red and Gold Dragon Tattoo
43. Detailed Dragon with Red Clouds
44. Full Sleeve with Yellow and Red
45. Classic Green Dragon with Red
46. Old Looking Dragon
47. Light Blue Dragon Face
48. Black Dragon with Red Scales
49. Dragon with Color
50. Dragon with Orange Ball
51. Full Red and Orange Dragon Design
52. Black and White Dragon
53. Detailed Scaled Dragon
54. Back Tattoo Piece
55. Deep Dragon Design
56. Full Green Body Tattoo
57. Traditional Style Dragon Sleeve
58. Red, Black, and Yellow
59. Blue with Red Spots
60. Woman with Purple Dragon
Colorful Dragon Designs
If you love color in your tattoos, then you cannot miss this list. I feel like the dragon thrives on color, although admittedly, it still looks amazing in black and white. Decide for yourself.
61. Bright Green Dragon Design
62. Bright Red Ink with Dragons
63. Neon Green Dragon with Sword
64. Red Dragon with Black Scales
65. Green, Red, and Black Dragon
66. Full Landscape Dragon Ink
67. Blue Dragon with Red Qualities
68. Dragon with Flowers
69. Cute Green Tattoo with Clean Lines
70. Smoke Green Dragon
71. Traditional Flowers with Big Dragons
72. Red Dragon Design with Bright Eyes
73. Body Tattoo Concept
74. Black Smoke Dragon with Cool Color
75. Dragon with Yellow Scales
76. Orange Dragon Skin
77. Vibrant Dragon Design
78. Grey Dragon Face on Chest
79. Japanese Cherry Blossom
80. Cute Flower Dragon Design
Best Japanese Dragon Tattoo Ideas
Here we have some of the best Japanese dragon tattoo ideas that you will see on this whole list. I want to say I am leaving the best for last, but…we still have one more to go.
81. Deeply Detailed Dragon Design
82. Full Dragon Back Design
83. Dragon with Floral Design
84. Dark and Detailed Dragon Coil
85. Beautiful Dragon Video
86. Dragon with Red Eyes
87. Black Dragon Foot
88. Detailed Dragon with Red Whisps
89. Story Book Dragon
90. Red and Black Half Sleeve
91. Giant Dragon on Back
92. Sapphire Blue Dragon Design
93. Intense Red Dragon
94. Dragon and Sakura
95. Traditional Dragon Face with Red
96. Black Ink with Dragon – Curly
97. Lime Green Dragon with Smile
98. Red-Faced Dragon with Florals
99. Cute Dragon with Red Ink
100. Deep Red Dragon
Fierce Dragon Designs
For my last list, I wanted to show you some of the fiercest Japanese dragon tattoo designs I have ever seen. Take a look through these and fall in love.
101. Rainbow Dragon with Black Base
102. Yellow Dragon with Green Eyes
103. Vibrant Lime Green Scales
104. Huge Red Detailed Snake Dragon
105. Red Tattoo with Blue Front
106. Spine Dragon in Black and White
107. Simple but Big Lined Dragon
108. Big Side Dragon
109. Small Detailed Snake on Ribs
110. Breathtaking Dragon
111. Light Black and White Smoke
112. Abstract Dragon with Splatter Art
113. Cute Figure Eight Dragon
114. Vibrant Blue and Maroon Dragon
115. Green Dragon Sleeve with Red Hughs
116. Dragon on Wrist
117. Dragon with Samurai Sword
118. 2 Leg Sleeves
119. Blended Flame Dragon Design
120. Full Leg Tattoo
121. Dragon with a Rainbow of Colors
I hope you loved these awesome Japanese dragon tattoo ideas. Everyone who has ever seen one of these tattoos in person is shocked by the design’s detail and boldness. I bet you felt this “wow” moment when you looked at these.
If you are always on the lookout for cool tattoo ideas like me, you might as well add this blog to your favorites list. Because we are constantly kicking out some of the coolest tattoo ideas, you will ever see!
Don’t believe me? Take a look!