Inside: Best XO Tattoo Ideas + The Weekend Tattoo Designs.
The XO symbol is a fascinating one in that we have a good idea of what it means. At least we think we do. For the most part, people use the XO as a symbol of love and happiness. However, there are some other meanings that people believe. No matter what you think it symbolizes, it is a smaller symbol that packs a much bigger punch and can symbolize a few different ideas.
This has become a popular image to have tattooed as well. People love small tattoos that have a lot of meaning. The nice thing about a tattoo of this size is that whether you are a biker or a business person, you can hide or show off this tattoo.
The XO tattoo is one of those tattoos that might lead to some questions. That is the fun part about being tattooed; the conversation that comes from curiosity.
What Does the XO Tattoo Mean?
The “X” means kisses. Denasi studied the X for his book on the history of kissing and says the X has been used since medieval times for correspondence. In its infancy, the X used to symbolize Christ but later evolved into what we know of it today and the kiss.
Next comes the O which is said to symbolize hugs. Some say that people used the O because it was easy to write with the X and many didn’t know how to read back then. The game, tic-tac-toe was around back then so the X and O have long been connected to each other. That being said, there wasn’t much evidence to show that an O symbolized a hug before 1960.
No matter how it started, the O became the universal symbol for representing a hug. Another idea is that when you step inside of a circle, you are it envelops you and forms a circle around you the same way your arms form a circle around someone when you hug them. The hug goes well with the kiss. The connection of X and O in tic-tac-toe is another reason. These symbols were meaning to be together.
From fashion brands to pop songs, the “XO” symbol has been one that has been in the forefront of our culture. This symbol has continually been an inspiration to many creative endeavors and projects.
All in all, the XO tattoo meaning revolves around love and affection.
XO Tattoo Ideas
1. X and O on Each Wrist
2. XO Tattoo Small Wrist Idea
3. Simple Wrist Tattoo of XO
4. Inside Lip Love Tattoo
5. Matching XO Ankle Tattoos
6. Side Boob Tattoo for Women
7. XOXO Wrist Tattoo Design
8. Tiny XO Finger Tattoo Idea
9. Matching XO Finger Designs
10. Thin Lined Ankle Tattoo Idea
11. His and Hers XO Tattoo
12. Little XO Letters
The Weeknd XO Tattoo
Most of these fan tattoos center around the letters XO. XO is the name of The Weeknd’s record label which was founded in 2012, though some fans claim it has a different meaning.
Rumors around the mysterious meaning of XO have fans guessing everything from the general usage of “hugs and kisses” to many believing it’s a cryptic drug reference to Ecstasy and oxycontin. Given The Weekend’s history with narcotics, there could be some truth to the rumor, but there has been no definitive confirmation either way.
There’s no guarantee The Weeknd will ever get a tattoo despite being surrounded by friends and fans sporting the artwork. The Weeknd has always marched to the beat of his own drum, so it won’t be a surprise if he does not follow the same path.
13. 3D XO Tattoo Behind Ear Idea
14. Large Wrist Weekend Tattoo
15. XO Heart on Inner Wrist
16. Matching The Weekend XO Design
17. Bold Weekend XO Tattoo Idea
18. The Weekend Hip Tattoo
19. XO Inside of a Heart
20. Large XO Weekend Hand Tattoo
21. Outlined Weekend Tattoo Design
22. Group Weekend Tattoo Idea
23. The Weeknd XO with Quote
24. Large Inner Wrist Tattoo
XO Tattoo Ideas with Love
We love these fun XO tattoo ideas, check out a few more of our favorite designs.
25. Matching XO Ankle Tattoos
26. XOXO Side of Arm Tattoo Design
27. Tiny Hip Tattoo Idea
28. Simple Wrist Tattoo of XO
29. Thin Line One X and One O Matching Tattoo
30. Cursive Font XO Tattoo Idea
31. X and O with Female Symbol
32. His and Hers XO Design
33. Scripted XO Idea
34. Inner Wrist Tattoo Idea
35. Matching Scripted XO Design
More Tattoo Inspiration You’ll Love
If you like these xo tattoo ideas, then check a few more of our favorite tattoo inspirations.
- Cute Little Tattoos You’ll Want to Get – Little tattoos can be personal and discreet, but they can also have a giant meaning and connection for the wearer. Smaller tattoos can be good for those just starting with tattoos…you know…see if you like it before committing to a large image. If you are just starting, or looking to add something small to your existing collection, check our our list of Cute Little Tattoos.
- Tiny Flower Tattoos – Flower tattoos are a timeless way to honor your femininity. They are rich in meaning and beauty, and you can truly never go wrong. If smaller tattoos are more your style then check out this list of Tiny Flower Tattoos. We’ve included a wide variety of styles and flowers, there is bound to be one that you’ll fall in love with. Check them out!
- Outline Dog Ear Tattoos – Do you have a four-legged friend that you love? Then these dog ear tattoo ideas are perfect for you! Tattoos depicting dogs and canine culture are a popular form of body art around the world. Why do people show such devotion to their dogs as to bear a likeness of them on their skin? Check out why people choose to get these outline dog ear tattoo ideas and more fun ideas and make sure to let us know what you (and your furry friends) favorite design is!
Our Favorite Tattoo Care Products
When it comes to taking care of your new body art, here are a few of our favorite products to keep on hand.
- Aquaphor – One of our favorite aftercare products has to be Aquaphor. This is a great moisturizer to use to keep your tattoo looking fresh and healing properly. It is so important to make sure you are caring for your new body ink properly. Maintaining hydration in your skin helps your tattoo heal quickly and correctly. You want to try to avoid any scabbing or peeling if at all possible when it comes to the healing process.
- Aftercare Protective Film – Keep your new tattoo protected with this adhesive aftercare film. The best way to ensure your tattoo stays safe and protected from water and moisture is by using these protective aftercare films. This product is perfect for keeping your new ink fresh and dry during the summer months that you may run into some water.
- Aftercare Kit – If you’re looking for an entire aftercare kit, this is one of our favorites. There is everything that you need for tattoo care is in this kit from soaps to lotions and balms. If you use this kit regularly then you are guaranteed to get the outcome that you were looking for.