Inside: Creative ways to get DNA tattoo stands as sleeves, bracelets and chains.
DNA is something that connects every single living thing on this planet. It is the carrier of genetic information and the constituent of chromosomes. I find it so interesting that every living organism has this in common and yet we do not see it. Perhaps if we did, we might feel more connected with the earth than we do currently.
Grass has DNA, Rabbits have DNA, heck even Trees have it. In fact, trees have 7 times the amount of DNA that a human does.
DNA connects us all. It helps us differentiate between our own genetic makeup (our family) and others. So for someone who is looking to get a tattoo that signifies a connection to all living things, then look no further than a DNA Tattoo!
But first, we must understand DNA a little better first.
What is DNA?
As we learned in biology, DNA is a super long chain of molecules that hold all the information a cell needs for life function. The single molecules that compose it are referred to as nucleotides. DNA has two strands and resembles a zipper, the nucleotides are like the teeth of the zipper that hold it together. This system of 2 strands continues on making copies of itself, on and on. According to ABC.Net: “The chains of nucleotides in human DNA are wound up and compacted into 46 chromosomes (two sets of 23) that are found in the nucleus of a cell. The DNA is held together by proteins called histones which help to keep the shape of the chromosomes.”
And there are the basics of DNA! I figured we’d stop while we were ahead because as any person who has ever met a science teacher knows, one could spend all day explaining DNA and how it works.
Now that we do have a basic understanding of what DNA is from a scientific viewpoint, let’s discuss the symbolism that DNA tattoos hold.
DNA Tattoo Meanings & Symbolisms
The meaning behind getting a DNA Tattoo may vary from person to person. Overall, the meaning behind one of these cool tattoos centers around life itself. Whether that be to honor our genetic code, our family, or to remind ourselves of the connection we have to everything around us.
This is the tattoo of life.
Some may get it as a reminder that we have so many unexplored and unseen parts of ourselves. Unless you work in the sciences, the general knowledge that you learn in basic biology courses tends to leave your head a year or two after the class is done, and we then forget about all of the amazing little things happening inside of our body that makes us who we are.
This tattoo is a reminder for the little guy (the little guy being DNA).
DNA Tattoo Ideas
This first list is a broad mixture of different styles of DNA Tattoos to help you get a better understanding of what look you are going for in terms of your own tattoo. I’ve included simple designs all the way to downright complex ones so there is bound to be something for everyone. Take a look!
1. Black & White Sleeve
2. Watercolor DNA Strand
3.Abstract Environment Around DNA
4. Modern Style DNA
5. DNA Crumbling Apart
6. DNA Arm Band
7. Double Helix Strand
8. Watercolor DNA Strand
9. Abstract Double Helix
10. Detailed Science Theme
11. DNA Sleeve
12. Lime Green DNA Sleeve
13. Black & White Quarter Sleeve
14. Sweet Double Helix with Flowers
15. Feminine DNA Tattoo
DNA Strand Tattoo
This next section is dedicated to the iconic DNA strand! This is the go-to image that pops up in every person’s brain when they think about DNA. There are many cool ways to incorporate this into your tattoo collection. From designs with galaxies and planets to famous scientists, take a look to see which one piques your interest!
16. DNA on the Back of the Neck
17. Double Helix Hand Tattoo
18. Spiderman DNA
19. The Theory of Life
20. Galaxy DNA Strand
21. Black & White Strand with Planets
22. DNA Strand with Flowers
23. Double Helix Arm Band
24. Abstract Life Tattoo
25. Flowers & Planets
26. Viney DNA Strand
27. Epicurus Sleeve
DNA Tree Tattoo
Many people get DNA tattoos as a way to honor their family. It reminds you of who you came from and the people that share the same DNA as you. It’s a cool spin on the family tree.
There are many cool ways this has been achieved, from the DNA strand as the trunk to a colorful display of leaves. Check them out!
28. Cool DNA Tree
29. Beautiful Black & White Tree
30. Family Tree
31. DNA Tree Attached to Heart
32.DNA Tree Chest Tattoo
33. Tree in Color
34. DNA Tree On Back
DNA Flower Tattoo
Of course, there are also many ways to bring some more feminine aspects to this otherwise genderless tattoo. Flowers are a wonderful way to add personality and substance to this tattoo.
If you love flowers then take a look at this next list. There are different designs that range from simple and dainty to complete
35. Double Helix with Pink Flowers
36. Black & White DNA
37. Detailed Black & White Roses
38. Beautiful DNA Strand
39. Simple DNA Strand with Flowers & Stars
40. DNA Turning Into Flowers
41. Rose with DNA Stem
42. Double Helix Surrounded By Flowers
43. Simple & Small DNA
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
- 93+ Trendy Small Tattoos for Women – Finding the perfect small tattoo has just gotten a lot easier! These dainty tattoo designs are feminine, beautiful, and have the perfect touch of elegance to them. They are ideal for your wrists, ankles, behind your ear, and on your shoulder blade. There are so many to pick from you may want to get more than one. Enjoy looking over these trendy small tattoos for women!
- Pomegranate Tattoos – Sweet, ripe pomegranates are one of the healthiest fruits ever! But did you realize they make pretty fantastic tattoos too? Their bright coloring and interesting shape make them stand out as a tattoo. The symbolism of pomegranate tattoos revolves around fertility. And if you are of Christian faith, you may be intrigued to know that the pomegranate is a sign of everlasting life and the resurrection.
- Watercolor Butterfly Tattoo Designs – Watercolor tattoo designs are filled with vibrant colors, thick and thin lines, and realistic artwork. Gaining traction over the years, watercolor tattoos are becoming more and more popular. Once you see them, you’ll understand why! These beautiful butterfly watercolor tattoos are stylish, unique, and creative. Many watercolor pieces are larger in size because it takes more space to properly shade and get it to look more realistic. Be sure to check out these lovely designs for your next watercolor butterfly tattoo.