Inside: Feminine Fairy Tattoo Ideas that Bring Joy.
Fairies–those winged, flimsy, beautiful little creatures– have been and continue to be a staple of childhood fairy tales and dramatic play. It was famous children’s author J.M. Barrie who wrote, “When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.” These wistful, cunning, sometimes cruel little creatures have played a major role in the fun and fancy of childhood long before J.M. Barrie fictionalized their beginning.
From Disney to author Sarah J. Maas, fairies are becoming more and more popular in pop culture. With their ethereal features like pointy ears and wings, these beautiful and dazzling creatures have inspired some of the coolest tattoos.
Check out these charming feminine fairy tattoo ideas that you will love!
About Fairies and their Meaning
The Brothers Grimm weren’t the only authors to focus entire works around fairies. J.M.Barrie, J.R.R. Tolkien, William Shakespeare, Sarah J. Maas, and Melissa Marr are all popular writers of both today and yesteryear who made the fae folk a primary part of their storytelling. There’s just something about the mysterious creatures whose own history is rooted in reality.
According to Celtic folklore, the fae folk could be dangerous and tricksy, and should be avoided at all costs. If something unexplainable occured, you could always blame the fairies! A set of sisters in the mid 1800s had the entirety of the British Isles believing that they had actually encountered a band of fairies living in their back garden! They even cleverly fooled an entire country with pretty photographs that were later revealed to be doctored. Can you blame people for wanting to believe, though? Faries are wondrous, magical creatures that have come to symbolize so many positive things:
- a mischievous spirit
- wishes fulfilled
No matter what meaning you prescribe to your fairy tattoo, you’re sure to include common elements like wings, long hair, flowing dresses, or maybe even a magic wand. Lots of times fairies are seen as being extensions of Mother Nature herself with acorn shoes, leafy gowns, and flower crowns.
Feminine Fairy Tattoo Ideas
1. Fairy God Mothers: It only seems fitting to start off with arguably the best fairies of them all. The 3 fairy godmothers from Sleeping Beauty!
2. Cute Pixie Fairy
3. Pretty Sitting Fairy: This sweet little fairy is perched perfectly on her wrist, which is such a cool placement.
4. Butterfly Fairy: I love the butterfly and fairy combo.
5. Pin-Up Fairy
6. Tiny Shoulder Fairy: Such a sweet and dainty little shoulder piece.
7. Detailed Outline
Super-Cute Fairy Tattoo Ideas
8. Moon Phase Fairy:
9. Tiny Little Tink: If you love Tinkerbell then this fairy tattoo is perfect for you!
10. Cherry Blossom Fairy
11. Colorful Moon Fairy: I love the colorful solar system with this cute fairy tattoo idea!
12. Skeleton Fairy: If you’re looking for a little bit of a twist on the traditional fairy tattoo.
13. Dancing Ballerina Fairy: For all my dancing lovers out there.
Pretty Feminine Tattoos
14. Blue Watercolor Wings
15. Butterfly Queen Fairy: The queen of butterfly fairies!
16. Sunflower Fairy
17. Broken Wing Fairy
18. Purple Fairy: This purple fairy tattoo is the perfect way to add a little colorful flair.
19. Crystal Fairy
20. Watercolored Fairy: This technique can work well with a fairy tattoo given the whimsical nature of the fairy. It creates a softer looking but striking tattoo.
21. White Outline: I love how they outlined this in white and filled it with colorful ink!
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
- Cute Little Tattoos – Little tattoos can be personal and discreet, but they can also have a giant meaning and connection for the wearer. Smaller tattoos can be good for those just starting with tattoos…you know…see if you like it before committing to a large image. If you are just starting, or looking to add something small to your existing collection, check our our list of Cute Little Tattoos.
- Half Sleeve Tattoo Ideas for Women – Tattoos have grown in popularity over the last decade but the half sleeve tattoos for women, in particular, have been growing rapidly. This tattoo begins either above the elbow to the shoulder or below the elbow to the wrist. This type of tattoo takes thought in creation, but it also takes thought in whether it works for each person, as it’s not as easy to cover up. Many questions arise and endless hours of research occur when looking for that perfect look. What is the statement I am trying to make? What will these tattoos represent? And the list could go on, and on, and on…
- Semicolon Tattoo Ideas – Each tattoo is unique and a representation of its wearer’s style, emotions, and life. The semicolon tattoo is a popular symbol of an internal and silent struggle. Here are 89 of the most inspiring Semicolon Tattoo ideas.