Inside: 27 Gorgeous Gypsy Tattoo Ideas.
Gypsy tattoos are a true old school tattoo and a perfect choice for any traditional sleeve or design. Inspired by the gypsy way of life and culture, gypsy tattoos have traditionally honored the traveling lifestyle of gypsy life and taken the form of a woman’s head.
Perhaps due to the strong will and nature female gypsy’s hold. Gypsy tattoos are quite simply one of the most captivating old school tattoos you can get. They can have deep meaning and symbolism or simply just pay respect to traditional tattooing.
Aside from representing the gypsy way of life and the freedom of traveling gypsy tattoos also symbolize; luck, independence, good fortune, desire, and living life. So embrace your inner gypsy and enjoy these gorgeous gypsy tattoo ideas!
What is a Gypsy
Well, over the past 600 years or so, the definition has varied. The original gypsies came from northern India and Egypt. They were a nomadic group who lived on and worked the land to make a living on only what was available to them.
This nomadic life required extraordinary creativity and intelligence in order to survive. It is believed that they traveled to Europe somewhere around the 14th century, and over the next six centuries, they would migrate all over the world.
Today, the term often refers to a member of an itinerant people in Europe, North Africa, and America, with dark skin and hair who speak Romany and make a living with seasonal work, trade, and fortune-telling.
In a larger sense, the word “gypsy” can describe any nomadic, untethered, wandering, self-sufficient, off-the-grid, free-spirited traveler.
Gypsy Portrait Tattoos
1. Gypsy Portrait
2. Outline Beauty
3. Card Reader
4. Bearded Lady Gypsy
5. Gypsy Sugar Skull
6. Pretty Peacock Gypsy
7. Snake Gypsy
8. Blue Eyed Beauty
9. Classic Gypsy Portrait
10. Glass Eyed Gypsy
Crystals, Ball, and Cards
11. “I want to show you how it ends”
12. Wicked Crystal Ball: This is hands down my all-time favorite gypsy tattoo ideas. It’s just perfect.
13. Sun and Moon
14. Colorful Crystals
15. Lavender Crystals
16. Crystal Ball Eye
17. Tarot Card
18. Small Crystal Ball
19. “My dear you have the Grim”
20. Colorful Crystal Ball
More Great Gypsy Tattoo Ideas
21. The Future is Bright
22. Holding Crystal Ball
23. Third Eye Crystal
24. Gypsy Card
25. Cat Gypsy
26. Tattooed. Hand
27. Dancing Gypsy
Gypsy Tattoo Design Details
Gypsy tattoos usually portray a beautiful female with traditional details associated with her origins. Some designs depict gypsies as they looked many centuries ago, in traditional garb. They’re often portrayed with black hair, dark skin, jewelry, flowers, and heavy make-up. They may also be designed with large feathers and scarves covering their long black hair. You’ll see some with only head and shoulders shown while others portray her entire body.
Often, she is shown looking off into the distance, usually in profile, with a star-gazing look on her face. This look holds symbolic importance because it represents the idea that she can see into the future. Some portray the gypsy with a crystal ball for the same reason. If you are looking toward the future or feel that you possess a special ability of foresight, this design may be perfect for you.
Another popular variation portrays her in a pin-up style popular in the mid-1900s. We’ve seen a resurgence of interest that has created a new school pinup style. Other variations include realistic or cartoon styles. All these options make it a fun tattoo to work with. Remember, you should always consider adding your own personal interpretation of any style.
More Great Tattoo Ideas
- Epilepsy Tattoo Ideas – People with epilepsy usually experience recurrent seizures. These seizures occur due to a disruption of electrical activity in the brain, which temporarily disturbs the messaging systems between brain cells. With any chronic condition, there is a sense of loss. Loss of hope, loss of being, or loss of strength. But with the right support system, counseling, doctors, and encouragement you can turn that loss into an inspiration. Tattoos can be a part of that for sure, both in a medically helpful and generally inspiring way!
- Hair Stylist Tattoos – Finding your passion in life can be one of the most rewarding experiences you can have! Perfecting that craft can be even more accomplishing! I don’t think I have ever met a hairstylist who DIDNT absolutely loves their job and the people that they come in contact with every day. There is such a creative and fun aspect to being a hairstylist, they truly are masters of style. Here are 23 Hair Stylist Tattoo Ideas to show your love of hair and everything styling!
- 50th Birthday Tattoos – Turning 50 doesn’t mean that you can’t still rock some ink like those “youngins” Shoot, 50 is basically the new 40! Whether you already have a sleeve full of tattoo stories, or this is your very first, here are 18 50th Birthday Tattoo Ideas to celebrate your big 5-0! Nothing says that turning 50 means you can’t get some new ink! I personally think it’s a PERFECT time! You can take a moment to tat something that is important, a life lesson you have learned, or honors someone who meant the world to you.