Many tattoos hold a deeper meaning than what is on the surface. So not only will they look cool, but for the person who got it, it can also be a source of inspiration, and a reminder to reflect on whatever wisdom the tattoo has to offer. Laugh Now Cry Later tattoos are the perfect example of this.
On the surface, to someone who doesn’t know the meaning, this tattoo is just 2 faces; one happy, one sad. But it is so much more than that!
Laugh Now Cry Later Meanings
Laugh Now Cry Later, sometimes also referred to as Smile Now Cry Later, is a symbol of the fleeting nature of life. When everything changes so quickly, we really don’t have the time to stop and reflect on the bad things.
We must be here, in the present, having fun and smiling, all the bad stuff can come later, but we won’t bring it into the present to contaminate the good times.
It’s a reminder to live the joyous moments in life fully. After all, we really aren’t promised a tomorrow, so enjoying life here and now is the most important thing you can do.
This tattoo has other symbolic meanings as well. One of which is it’s representation of mental illness. You never really feel fully in control when you struggle with mental illness. One moment you could be laughing and the next you’re in tears. This tattoo can symbolize the battle between your brain and your heart in moments like this.
If these are things that resonate with you then you would be a perfect candidate for this tattoo.
This tattoo is most commonly drawn using the two theatre masks that represent Happy (Laughter) and Sad (Crying), but many other versions use different things to represent the two, such as hearts, skulls, etc.
We’ve compiled a list of some of the coolest Laugh Now Cry later tattoos we could find for you to look through to get a good feel for what your style is.
Hopefully, by your next tattoo session, you’ll know exactly what you want!
Smile Now Cry Later Tattoos
Here is some Smile Now Cry Later Tattoos in different styles that we found. Take a look!
1. Smile Now Cry Later with Rose
2. Feminine Masks with Rose
3. Big Smile with Quote
4. Angel & Demon Masks
5. Detailed Outline with Dice
6. Happy Sad Masks with Thick Lines
7. Feminine Masks with eyelashes
8. Minimalist Tattoo
9. Cry Now, Cry Later
10. Split Heart
11. Classic Masks
Laugh Now Cry Later Mask Tattoos
The most traditional way to represent this concept is by using theatre masks! Here are some examples that range from simple to complex for you to take a look at.
12. Detailed Masks
13. Black & White with Great Shading
14. Small Face Tattoo
15. Masks with Quote
16. Awesome Sketch Tattoo
17. Happy Sad Clown Masks
18. Mask Quarter Sleeve
19. Happy Sad Masks with Hands
20. Simple Masks with Quote
21. Intense Mask Sleeve
22. Simple Neck Tattoo
23. Tiny Hand Tattoo
Laugh Now Cry Later Designs
24. Contrasting Tattoo with Cards
25. Simple Little Clowns
26. Fore Arm Tattoo
27. Detailed Female Clown Masks
28. Cute Smile Now Cry Later Tattoo
29. Happy Sad Throat Tattoo
30. Simple Masks in Color
31. Classic Clowns
32. Happy Sad Thumb Tattoo
33. Laugh Now Cry Later Musical Note
Laugh Now Cry Later Tattoo Stencils
Sometimes the best tattoo ideas aren’t even tattoos yet, they’re still in stencil form! The good news is we’ve also included stencils in our list, so check them out below!
34. Simple Stencil
35. Masks with Swirled Smoke
36. Happy Sad Women
37. Classic Theater Masks
38. Happy Sad Butterflies
39. Cool Masks
40. Hands Touching Masks
41. Simple Smile Now Cry Later Masks
42. Clown Mask Stencil
43. Laugh Now Cry Later with Quote
Laugh Now Cry Later Skull Tattoos
Skulls are another great way to represent the Laugh Now Cry Later concept! So naturally, we had to include some of our favorites!
44. Happy Sad Skulls
45. Spooky Skulls
46. Half Face Artwork
47. Sugar Skulls
48. Sugar Skulls on Opposing Arms
49. Realistic Happy Sad Skulls
50. Smile Now Cry Later Art
51. Detailed Skulls with Quote
52. Dark Happy Sad Tattoo
53. Intense Skulls
And that’s it… 53 Laugh Now Cry Later Tattoos. We hope you loved them as much as we loved finding them. And we hope that you now have a better understanding of this tattoo and the symbolisms it holds beyond the cool masks.
More Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
- 43+ Think Positive Tattoo Ideas + Designs – We all need more positivity in our lives and sometimes a reminder to think and be more positive. Just a quick glance at your new tattoo is sure to make you feel happy. One of these positive tattoo designs is exactly what you need to remind you to be thankful and more joyful. You might just inspire other people to become more positive too. Get inspired by these fun and uplifting, positive tattoo designs.
- 53+ Flirty Ankle Tattoo Designs for Women – Want a tattoo that is flirty, elegant, and trendy? Consider getting an ankle tattoo. The space on your ankle isn’t very big, so it’s the perfect location for a smaller, more dainty tattoo. Add splashes of color or stick with a black design; both are beautiful. Depending on your preference, they can have a simple or super detailed design. Check out these sexy ankle tattoos and find one that works for you.
- Luck Filled Shooting Star Tattoo Designs + Ideas – Remember the last time you wished upon a shooting star? Chances are, the answer to that is yes. Shooting stars are the symbol of hope and romance, which is ever needed in the world we live in today. Some may also feel that shooting stars fill them with childlike wonder. Regardless of your experience with them, I’d bet that the idea of a shooting star makes you happy. I get it! These beautiful shooting star tattoos will leave you hopeful!